Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Blown 9”?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Blown 9”?

Well I’m doing about 70 on the highway, getting dogged by some white Escalade who won’t let me over, so I nail it……
70 to 135 140 in a few seconds, let off slow down, get off the next exit. All is fine.
Do some slow back roads; my Detroit locker seems louder then usual.
I go a few more miles, when I'm light on the gas nothing, when I let off the gas it starts making a gear grinding sound.
I pull into the first public lot slow to a stop, well grind to a stop. Get towed home, 160 bucks.
Pulled it tonight, put it on my bench, turns as smooth as silk, hold the gears, work it back and forth, seams solid. So I go to pull the yoke – 1350 billet – the nut is hanging on BY ABOUT 4 THREADS. The yoke is sliding back and forth. WHAT?
Looks like the center section is fine as far as I can tell.
I’m going to replace it anyway, I didn’t like the Detroit locker on the street, I’m going to get it checked out tomorrow, if it's ok then I might try to sell it.
I hope that’s all it was, and I hope I don’t find out it was the trans after I put the new center in. Rear was rebuilt by a local shop 2000mi ago; I don’t think they ever tightened the nut. Note to self – Check all outside work.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang that sucks to hear.
off topic:
happen to have a link to your car or specs or pics? I'd love to see.