Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

stock rear end

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock rear end

Do stock rear ends frequently break?

I am on my 3rd one now and my warranty is nearly over, I have just noticed rear end fluid coming again from my rear end.

If I do end up replacing this one, what would be a good alternative. What are some different prices and options for fixing my reoccuring problem.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They'd prob run a 7.5 in a top fuel car if they could its a good thing NHRA has a ratio rule or they'd never decide between 3.73's and 4.10's....Sorry about that little outburst if you'd like please check out the rear end faq at the top of this page you'll find your answers there but in a nutshell they are junk..leaks from the pinion seal tubes or rear cover are as common as broken teeth...
Old 07-07-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Wow....

Check out the stickies at the top of the page.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:12 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Moser offers their 9 inch rear-end made to fit these cars. My price is $2,400 shipped without ABS/TCS. $2,500.00 shipped with ABS/TCS. This is with the True-trac posi, 31 spline axles, and the nodular iron case. This rear will handle a lot of abuse! Bob
Old 07-08-2006, 08:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by milleniumZ28
Do stock rear ends frequently break?

I am on my 3rd one now and my warranty is nearly over, I have just noticed rear end fluid coming again from my rear end.

If I do end up replacing this one, what would be a good alternative. What are some different prices and options for fixing my reoccuring problem.

When my rear was stock my pinion seal would leak, but to answer your question better. Some break often, others hold up real well. Its hit or miss but a general rule of thumb is that if your adding power and driving it hard its going to break at some point.

If your looking into big power in the future look into a good 9inch, or 12bolt, or Dana 60 which ever will suit your needs best.