Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Been hearing a thumping...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Been hearing a thumping...

I just bought my TA with 55k miles and have it a little over 59k miles. A few hundred miles back when I turned the radio off and I was coasting in neutral I heard a thumping or clunking sound (isn't it wonderful trying to expliain a noise over the internet? ). Anyways I was thinking it could be a wheel bearing but I haven't really had it up in the air to take a look at make sure that they are ok, and with previous experience in wheel bearings they usually last at least 100k miles, at least they did in my Grand Prixs and the Grand Am. Performance doesn't really seem to have suffered and it doesn't get louder/quieter as I am going faster (actually can't even hear it).

Anyone know what it could be? Was reading the FAQ and read about the rear end going out and signs to watch for. I know the fluid was changed in the rear before I bought it because there was a bearing of some sort that had to be replaced anyway. Anyone have advice or suggestions to make sure it isn't something major? It is on a M6 car, which I know doesn't make a whole lot of diff.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ttt anyone have any ideas what it could be? If not gonna keep driving and pray im not doing more damage!