Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How long will it last

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 10:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How long will it last

The other night, after a cruise home I noticed some noise in my Moser 12 bolt. So I took it to work and put it on the lift, and noticed I had some movement in my driveshaft, about 1/8th of an inch either way. I know it's my bearings, and I've ordered a new bearing/rebuild kit, but I can't get it installed for another week or so. Will I be ok to drive the car until then, or am I better off parking it?
Old 08-18-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you moving the driveshaft side to side or front to back? It's going to have play side to side....

I wouldn't drive it...if it is a trashed bearing, putting those metal bits through the ring/pinion posi would not be a good thing.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually it's up and down, the Auto instructor put the car on the rack and tightened the pinion nut down, and pulled all the play out, so I at least know that it'll be good until sunday when it gets it's new bearing kit. If I trash the gears, I've got another set, I just don't want to go that route yet. It is a good thing I work somewhere I get free labor on any of my cars. Thanks for the help!