Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Dumb question about 9"

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dumb question about 9"

I have a 9" from billingsley w/detroit locker (strange) pro iron case center section and moser housing. If I wanted to switch out the locker for a posi center section every once in a while due to the lack of track time, is that easily done? I would want to leave the housing in the car. Just a little tired of being jerked around by the throw of the locker. If so, where and how much would the alternate center section run me (estimate)? Thanks
Old 09-07-2006, 02:24 PM
14 Second Truck Club

You would have to drain the fluid, remove the brakes and axles, then remove the center section. Invest in a reuseable housing gasket, a quick fill and drain on the rear of the housing, and a carrier for your extra center section. You could easily do it in 30-45 minutes after practice.
You could easily spend $800 on a center section if you start adding up prices. Posi unit, gears, master install kit, pinion bearing cage, yoke- it adds up. You could also do it cheaper with used parts, or just find something used on racing junk, etc. If you have 35 spline your posi will be more expensive since you cant just buy an OEM style posi, it would have to be aftermarket.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, you could definately do that... thats the beauty of the 9 in.
i know in Nascar thats basically what they do, the Pettys have walls filled with shelves of nothing but center sections. they're sitting in small cylinders that hold the center sections, i guess it keeps trash and stuff out of the carriers.

when i lived in Mooresville, i would go to some auctions that Nascar teams would have, and they would sell the center sections complete for about $250. you might be able to find one for about the same price in a junk yard, but i'm not sure,... i've never bought one.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, that helps. I just needed to know my options as far as this rear-end goes.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000TransAmWS6
yeah, you could definately do that... thats the beauty of the 9 in.
i know in Nascar thats basically what they do, the Pettys have walls filled with shelves of nothing but center sections. they're sitting in small cylinders that hold the center sections, i guess it keeps trash and stuff out of the carriers.

when i lived in Mooresville, i would go to some auctions that Nascar teams would have, and they would sell the center sections complete for about $250. you might be able to find one for about the same price in a junk yard, but i'm not sure,... i've never bought one.

That's exactly where my center section came from~!

Those things are bad too. Fully micro-polished, coated, and balanced.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
That's exactly where my center section came from~!

Those things are bad too. Fully micro-polished, coated, and balanced.
yeah, thats one thing i liked about their units,... they don't use junk!
before i got my 12 bolt i was planning on trying to find a Nascar center section with 4.33s, and then get a 9 in housing from Moser, but every time something that i was interested in came around i had somewhere to be.