Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Chatter going into OD under light acceleration-HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Chatter going into OD under light acceleration-HELP

sounds like your cluthc in the convertor is going bad (TCC) or the front pump in the trans

Jay
Old 06-23-2002, 03:48 PM
Teching In

Try adding a 4oz. or so bottle of friction modifier. Works great. It just allows the frictions to slip ever so slightly during engagement.
Old 06-23-2002, 08:49 PM
Banned

Agreed on adding the FM. That should cure your problem.
Old 06-23-2002, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds like the same thing that happened to my ST3500. I ended up pullin it out one weekend and sending it back to Yank. Mike told me it was a warped clutch caused by extremely high line pressure. My $.02. I would def. try all the easy stuff first to see if that helps.
-josh
Old 06-24-2002, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

Default Chatter going into OD under light acceleration-HELP

Posted several weeks back.
Put the stock MAF ends back on and installed a B&M Shift+ at the lowest setting. This seems to help but it still occurrs occasionally at a much lesser degree.
To be honest, I prefer the way the car feels without the B&M Shift+ on, although it sure firms up the shifts at light throttle.
Of course, driving in D negates the problem also, but most of my driving is under 55 mph in traffic.
My question is: where do I go from here-live with it or fix/replace the converter (Super Thruster 3000)?

<small>[ June 23, 2002, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: PonchoFan ]</small>
Old 06-24-2002, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This sounds like the same thing that happened to my ST3500. I ended up pullin it out one weekend and sending it back to Yank. Mike told me it was a warped clutch caused by extremely high line pressure. My $.02. I would def. try all the easy stuff first to see if that helps.
-josh
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mike told me the same thing when I sent him my ST3500, but the reason I was taking the converter out in the first place was because Mike first said that I was getting low line pressure and that was causing the shudder and that I needed a shift kit to fix the problem. I did try the FM with no luck. After he got the converter he said the problem was from high line pressure and didn't give me full credit. I still don't know if this was BS or not
Old 06-26-2002, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do you have edit?

Raising the lock-up speed a few mph at certain TPS% may help. For example you may not have shudder until 25% TPS. You could leave the 0% - 18% settings alone, add 4 mph at 25% & 31%, and 10 mph to 37% and above and cure the problem that way.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

What kind of 'friction modifier' should I use?
Nope, don't have edit.

I'm really disgusted over the whole thing. If it gets worse, I'm putting the stock converter back in. Where I go from there, I haven't decided.
Old 06-28-2002, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Here's the latest.
E-mailed Mike at Yank who agrees with the diagnosis of a glazed converter clutch.
Recommended Lube Gard Friction Modifier. (However, the manufacturer warns that overuse of the friction modifier may cause transmission slippage.) And if that doesn't work, a $150 +$28 shipping rebuild should cure it. Says it will be 'updated' at the same time.
Unfortunately, a $365 install charge gets added and double that if I want the car back with the stock converter while its being shipped and fixed.
Add in shipping and it's 9 bills.
With no guarantee that it won't happen again.

I think I'll look at alternative converters from other manufacturers if it comes to that. I strongly believe that the clutch material/design is suspect in this converter for this to occurr.
Old 06-29-2002, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

You might consider fed ex overnight rather than paying for 2 installs if you can live for a couple days w/o the car. The extra shipping will be a lot less than $365
Old 06-30-2002, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Poured half a bottle (5 oz.) of Lube Gard Friction Modifier in yesterday. With the B&M Shift+ off, car still chatters in OD at light throttle, but not nearly as bad. Turned the Shift+ on to it's lower setting and am on the way out to wring it out.
Wish me luck.
Old 06-30-2002, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a tranny chatter problem in a non LS1 vehicle once, I used the whole bottle and somewhere between 50 and 100 miles it went away, maybe you should use all ten ounces.