Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Driver side sitting higher after 9"??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side sitting higher after 9"??

After I installed my 9" my driver side is sitting about 1/2" higher than the passenger side?? Anyone know what's wrong. I thought the shock setting might be wrong but I took it off and checked, not the problem.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Just thought of something, I still have the stock panhard rod and I cut a little off the stock springs, could this be my problem?
Old 09-11-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be, i noticed after i installed my 9" the rear of my car in general sat a bit higher...which was sweet, because my car suffered typical F-body booty sag prior..and it fixed that!
Old 09-11-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The orientation of the spring/top cushion assembly as well as the spring seated in the top cushion can make a little difference.

I am going through this right now after a 10 bolt to 10 bolt swap, my right rear was sitting a good inch lower, if not more. A portion of that was fixed by changing the spring/cushion orientations around, I believe the rest is attributed to a shock that may have been damaged during installation.

I left the 10 bolt hanging by the shocks at the last stages, and the right rear shock got torqued on pretty badly. I believe it lost some fluid, and people here have said a bad shock will be just enough to drop that corner slightly. If you lift up on the rear you'll find it doesn't take much force to correct for a half inch or so.

The right rear shock takes the most abuse, and decarbons aren't exactly very durable in the first place.

Many people claim this is normal, or a common feature, but mine started doing it after the rear end swap, so something is up.

For the time being I have a couple little spring boosters in place to hedge it up level.

I'll post up if the shocks work.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by todddchi
The orientation of the spring/top cushion assembly as well as the spring seated in the top cushion can make a little difference.

I am going through this right now after a 10 bolt to 10 bolt swap, my right rear was sitting a good inch lower, if not more. A portion of that was fixed by changing the spring/cushion orientations around, I believe the rest is attributed to a shock that may have been damaged during installation.

I left the 10 bolt hanging by the shocks at the last stages, and the right rear shock got torqued on pretty badly. I believe it lost some fluid, and people here have said a bad shock will be just enough to drop that corner slightly. If you lift up on the rear you'll find it doesn't take much force to correct for a half inch or so.

The right rear shock takes the most abuse, and decarbons aren't exactly very durable in the first place.

Many people claim this is normal, or a common feature, but mine started doing it after the rear end swap, so something is up.

For the time being I have a couple little spring boosters in place to hedge it up level.

I'll post up if the shocks work.
Thanks, I'll check the springs. I like the way the passenger side is sitting I just want the driver side to come down 1/2" or so to match. I don't think It's my shocks, they were cheap competition engineering shocks but they are new.