Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

EEP...Installation kit...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EEP...Installation kit...

I recently bought some gears from a friend of mine(410's) and all I got was the ring and pinion from him. I made an appointment with a shop on Thursday but I didnt order an installation kit. So now I either take the car in to do the basic swap and no new crap, or I wait maybe a week, and get an installation kit to go along with it. My car has 50,000 miles. Should I go ahead and cancel because I dont have the kit? Or should everything be ok back there? My car has been regularly maintained in every aspect. Anyone do just a ring and pinion swap? Or will I be pushing it and playing with fire? Thanks
Old 09-13-2006, 05:32 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd call the shop and see if they have shims in stock to use when installing your ring and pinion. More than likely, your old bearings will be okay. Bob
Old 09-13-2006, 05:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done swaps with only changing the seal, pinion nut, and crush collar. You can get those from the dealer. 9 out of 10 times the stock shims work the best. Oh, and don't forget the GM additive.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bearings were pitted at around 40k, IMHO Now would be the perfect time to give it a complete rebuild. Seals, all six bearings etc... Oh and get a solid pinion spacer from summit.