Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

axle replacement require new bearing???

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default axle replacement require new bearing???

I have to replace an axle on my car. Can I just swap out axles or do I have to replace the axle bearings as well? Its on my 10-bolt so as far as I know the bearings ar not pressed on the axle.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be in your best interest to replace the axle bearing as well. It is cheap insurance for the money and time involved.... a bearing and seal are dirt cheap.

Are you replacing it from being bent or bearing surface wear ?? Or what........... ??
Old 10-07-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hit a curb and now I have a strong vibration when braking. I havent measure the runout yet, but Im pretty sure when I do Im going to find the axle flange is bent.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well..... that definately makes sense now.

I will have to say that it is good insurance.... but depending on what the bearing surface on the axle looks like would deem its replacement or not in this situation. However, if you dont have too many miles on the chassis... it may not be necessary. But, it would be nice to have the parts on hand just in case.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the advice man, this website is great! I looked in my service manual and the job looks pretty easy so I think I will just go ahead and replace the bearings as well. Might you recommend a particular brand of bearings?
Old 10-09-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I believe there is only one US manufacturer of the small tube GM axle bearings....

INA part number: FC-66263.2

And the axle seals I like are...

CR part number: 13990

All you will need is a slide hammer to remove them and seal driver about the same size as the bearing to install them. Remove> clean with brake cleaner> install new bearing> wipe a little RTV on the seal> and install.

Make sure you put some grease on the seal lip and tension spring (in the seal itself) before you install the axle seal. It you dont knock it just right, the seal lip spring likes to grow legs and jump off the car. The grease keeps it in place if it were to actually think about growing legs.

And try not to drag the axle itself across the seal lip during install.... that way you protect the seal surface and damn near eleviate the chance of possible seal leakage fro the get go.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, so maybe I don't know how to measure runout on the axle. Is this something that can be done with the axle in the vehicle??? I set up my dial indicator, but as soon as I started turning the axle the needle jumped all over just from the friction, same with the rotor. I was, however, able to get a pretty good reading measuring runout on the rim with the needle steadily swaying over a .02" range once I got the wheel spinning.
Please advise!