Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Spohn torque arm setup help

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 10:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spohn torque arm setup help

Just put a spohn torque arm in. Got it setup around -1.5 but my question is the front mount. The directions say to just snug the bolt that it should move. It seems that mine is moving too much and possibly hitting the floorboard right under the driver's seat on accel and deceleration. Might also be y pipe banging tough too. Anyone have any experiece with this? Should I leave it loose or tightened it down. Kinda seems like defeating the purpose of the torque arm if it can swivel back and forth.
Old 08-31-2002, 11:01 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Spohn torque arm setup help

It's your y-pipe. The swivel doesn't come close enough, that's a fixed distance. The y-pipe will tap because of engine torque. Makes sense that yours does it during accel and decel since the torque on the motor changes the most then. I had to do some minor surgery to my y-pipe with a ballpene hammer. Make sure there is about .25" to .50" of clearance if you can get it. That will reduce that a great deal.

If you have a cammed motor you will notice a tapping at idle that will get worse with time to a point. Basically as the exhaust settles in it will certainly lower down. Then you'll get some new tapping. A little pain in the rear, but I'm going to do a custom y that's high in the tunnel to avoid that in the future.