Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

TruTrac problem:

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 07:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is a SPOOL

Old 04-29-2007, 07:03 PM
10 Second Club

sorry about the sucky pics but you get the pics. that is my thirdmember, the spool may look big like yours but i have 35spline axles and they are huge...

the trutrac for the 9" looks a lot like a spool but just a little different.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

Ok, just read into the owner’s manual a little more...
Found out that with the 9in, you need at least 100lb-ft of torque of opposing the other wheel. They recommend spinning one tire on dry pavement and the other on wet. If you have an observer, they tell you if the wheel is spinning faster that the other, hence the limited slip is working. So I did not do that and just set the car up on jack stand again to perform the first heat cycle.
After that, I let it cool down for about 30 min. I then proceeded to back out of my drive way. I knew that if it was difficult to turn and if the wheel skipped or chirped, I would know the answer to my question. To my happiness, none of that happened!
All the worry for nothing! The rear feels as if it were the stock unit, just a little tighter in the corners. I am so relieved and I thank all of you who have given me suggestions and answers. I am off the break it in for the third heat cycle!
BTW... I feel like an ***... all that worry for nothing.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by one2run
Ok, just read into the owner’s manual a little more...
Found out that with the 9in, you need at least 100lb-ft of torque of opposing the other wheel. They recommend spinning one tire on dry pavement and the other on wet. If you have an observer, they tell you if the wheel is spinning faster that the other, hence the limited slip is working. So I did not do that and just set the car up on jack stand again to perform the first heat cycle.
After that, I let it cool down for about 30 min. I then proceeded to back out of my drive way. I knew that if it was difficult to turn and if the wheel skipped or chirped, I would know the answer to my question. To my happiness, none of that happened!
All the worry for nothing! The rear feels as if it were the stock unit, just a little tighter in the corners. I am so relieved and I thank all of you who have given me suggestions and answers. I am off the break it in for the third heat cycle!
BTW... I feel like an ***... all that worry for nothing.
Well I feel like the ***. When I read the later posts, I was feeling sh!tty, I checked to see if you logged on and when it said you hadn't been on since 11:00AM, I was like holy ****. He's probably tearing it apart.

Sorry, well I learned something new today.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dragula
Well I feel like the ***. When I read the later posts, I was feeling sh!tty, I checked to see if you logged on and when it said you hadn't been on since 11:00AM, I was like holy ****. He's probably tearing it apart.

Sorry, well I learned something new today.
all good man

i was a little concerned when i first saw mine too..

-02NBMWS6
Old 04-29-2007, 11:13 PM
11 Second Club

It's all good guys. I just had a buddy revise my tune with a 4.11 gear ratio. I am pleased with it so far because I do not have to slip my SPEC 3+ clutch as much as I used to, and I am in the process of breaking that in too.
My lesson learned today: Read and understand all instructions before playing!
Old 04-30-2007, 05:15 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I just read all through this thread, I'm glad to see you probably were able to sleep last night. You will be impressed with your new Moser 9 inch, they are very nice rear-ends. Bob
Old 04-30-2007, 08:29 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks, Bob, and I am very pleased with it! The final step I got excited and skipped over some important material in the owners manual! Dang brain of mine!
Old 04-30-2007, 08:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by one2run
It's all good guys. I just had a buddy revise my tune with a 4.11 gear ratio. I am pleased with it so far because I do not have to slip my SPEC 3+ clutch as much as I used to, and I am in the process of breaking that in too.
My lesson learned today: Read and understand all instructions before playing!
You're welcome... hurry up and get it broke in so I can ride in a car with power and a rear end that can handle it.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

better safe than sorry, that goes for ANY install!

Let us know what you think a month from now, so I can make my dam mind up over my new rear lol
Old 04-30-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

OFF TOPIC

erikthegoalie ur car is

one2run, great to hear ur back on the road
Old 05-01-2007, 04:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can use an aluminum center section with the trutrac? I was told they weren't compatible but am glad to find this new info out.

Marty
Old 05-01-2007, 05:10 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by Mr.MartyStone
You can use an aluminum center section with the trutrac? I was told they weren't compatible but am glad to find this new info out.

Marty
When Eaton bought the Detroit Truetrac they did some design changes, and now the aluminum center section will work with it. Bob