Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Loose end housing

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 05:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose end housing

I got home last night from cruising around and today When I was going to my dad's house, I noticed some oil laying by the right rear of the car. I ended up taking off the wheel, brakes, PAB, and noticed that my C-clip eliminators were very loose. They were not even finger tight.

Would that be enough play in the end housing to let fluid run out and go all over the place? The concentration of the oil was around the bottom where the eliminator and the axle tube meet up. I hope this solves the problem. Anyone else had this problem before? I have driven the car with the 12 bolt in it since last May and never had this problem before. This is the first time that it has done that. Could taking it to the track and running it on slicks cause those nuts to back out some?

What weight oil should I use in the 12 bolt?

Last edited by purdueranger; 05-19-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup... c-clip eliminators sure do suck.

Yes it is quite possible and is most likely the culprit to your leak. It is a very common problem with eliminators. I would get some new hardware or at least replace the nuts to combat the loosening issue... or maybe even use red locktite on the nuts during final assembly.

Lube weight... ?? I would use a straight 90wt for your climate... or a straight 140wt if you beat on it all the time.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will probably drain it this week and pick up the 140 wt oil for it and some friction modifier. I have 3 quarts of 75-140 royal purple synthetic gear oil