Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pinion Preload

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pinion Preload

Got my 600mi Moser 12-bolt tore down. It was making ALOTof noise and I found that the pinion needed shimming. When going back together as soon as I start to tighten the pinion nut it gets too difficult to turn like its preloading the bearings to quick. If I can turn the yoke like normal there is too much slack in the bearings. My rear came with the solid pinion spacer and shims do I need to add to the shims or take away? Also what to the carrier bolts torque down too? Thanks
Old 05-25-2007, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

If you've got the solid pinion spacer then you need to add shims to the pinion spacer to loosen up the pinion preload. I beleive the instructions for the solid pinion spacers say to start with all the shims that come with the kit and then remove shims to tighten up the pinion preload. This prevents you from damaging the bearings from accidentally getting too much preload when tightening the nut.

BTW, changing pinion depth WILL change the amount of pinion spacer shims required to get the necessary pinion preload
Old 05-25-2007, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by turbotko
If you've got the solid pinion spacer then you need to add shims to the pinion spacer to loosen up the pinion preload. I beleive the instructions for the solid pinion spacers say to start with all the shims that come with the kit and then remove shims to tighten up the pinion preload. This prevents you from damaging the bearings from accidentally getting too much preload when tightening the nut.

BTW, changing pinion depth WILL change the amount of pinion spacer shims required to get the necessary pinion preload
Thanks, will the amount of shim I added to the pinion be directly related to those on the spacer. For instance if I added a .010 spacer under the pinion bearing then I would need a .010 shim to go on top of the solid pinion spacer?