Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Diffrence between Tru Trak & Detroit Locker

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 10:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Diffrence between Tru Trak & Detroit Locker

I was wondering what the main diffrence was. Which ones better? Is there any particular reason to choose either or? From my understanding they are both posi's correct?
Old 06-03-2007, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.eatonperformance.com/diff...erentials.html

A TrueTrac is a gear driven limited slip. Which allows the inside tire (while in a turn) to differentiate the short radius. It also allows the gear unit to bias applied torque to the wheel with greater traction. This operation makes it eaiser to drive on the street without adverse effects.

A Detroit Locker is a mechanical locking differential. When the dove tails of the internal cog assembly have pressure applied to them, they lock and allow zero differential bias. They are very strong and can take a lot of abuse. But they do require a fair amount of finesse' to drive on the street... in a lighter weight application, like that of a street passenger car. Really... it just takes some getting used to. Some dont like the way the a locker "re-sets" as it makes some noise (like a loud bang) and it can upset the chassis enough that it feels like you are going to make a lane change... while driving straight down the street.

I like the TrueTrac for street, road course and autocross applications. Not saying that a Locker wouldnt do as well... but it can effect "turn-in" and can cause a fair amount of understeer... unless you power oversteer the turns. They used to use Detroits in road racing back in the early days of Trans-Am, mainly because of their strength, but you had to drive it a little differently.

I drive a Locker everyday of the week... and love it, but that is what the peticular vehicle is set up for. The race car on the other hand, has a TrueTrac in it... and it works perfect for its application.

Although, I wouldnt recommend running one in a drag race application.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:45 PM
10 Second Club

Why wouldn't you recommend a Tru Trak on a drag racing application? My application will be driven alot on the street and no road course just 1/4 mile!!
Old 06-03-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

The TrueTrac doesnt really put up with the impact loading for too long. Meaning, that it wasnt designed for drag race use. This is evident from the numerous posts here and people blowing them up from drag racing abuse. If you dont spend too much time at the strip, didnt run slicks and were not trying to launch at 5k rpm... it would live longer.

It really comes down to the driver. You either beat things to death from a lack of driver skill or are using components that are underrated for the abusive application. On the other hand... if you know how to drive with applicable finesse'... and dont beat up your ride, it could last indefinately.

You would be better off with an EATON and using a heat treated set of spiders and a steel clutch pack or go with a No-Spin locker (Detroit).
Old 06-03-2007, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

Would an AUBURN PRO SERIES POSI be good for a drag racing 1/4 mile application?
Old 06-03-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sure... right up to the point you wear it out.

Its great for a drag use only... but if you put a lot of miles on it... its not so good. Auburn's are a throw away differential. Once you use them up, you then turn them back in for to the DREX exchange program... so for $100 and the trade, you'll get a rebuilt one after you wear it out.

Quick Reply: Diffrence between Tru Trak & Detroit Locker