Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

is this piece on the drive shaft important question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is this piece on the drive shaft important question

So this piece broke of the u joint when i was pulling my drive shaft out to pull my trans. is it important and should i get a new piece or is it not really a big deal... it doesnt look that important.

heres the pics
thanks
Attached Thumbnails is this piece on the drive shaft important question-img_0668.jpg   is this piece on the drive shaft important question-img_0660.jpg   is this piece on the drive shaft important question-img_0664.jpg   is this piece on the drive shaft important question-img_0671.jpg  
Old 06-29-2007, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 87fierose
So this piece broke of the u joint when i was pulling my drive shaft out to pull my trans. is it important and should i get a new piece or is it not really a big deal... it doesnt look that important.

heres the pics
thanks
Nah, that's just some weight reduction there.

Seriously, I'm not sure what it is, but I don't think it's part of the u-joint.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:12 AM
TECH Addict

Mine broke off too, dont sweat it. It just helps hold those two pieces together. It serves more of a purpose when the ds is off the car
Old 06-29-2007, 01:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
Mine broke off too, dont sweat it. It just helps hold those two pieces together. It serves more of a purpose when the ds is off the car
Mine broke off and left me stranded near Bakersfield CA. Its Insurance. My Yoke broke along with one of those half moon pieces. If it wasnt for the other one holding on, my driveshaft would have beat up the underside of my car more than it did. It felt like a flat at first, like i was riding on just rims.

Either way, they are REALLY cheap to replace, like 15$ each.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its just an assembly strap to keep the caps on the joint... so dont sweat it. Just make sure that you dont drop a cap when installing the shaft back in the car.