Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Borg Warner 9 bolt

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borg Warner 9 bolt

Having a problem with the bearings in my Borg Warner 9 bolt. I switched rears, got the 9 bolt from the junk yard and rebuilding it. Replaced gears, locker, spool, axles, seals, and bearings. Only thing is the Bearings have two different race's. But when i go to tighten the retaining plate down. The darker(smaller) race snaps off the larger one, and leaves little metal pieces all over in my bearings. They are originally molded together, or atleast not movable when they are out. i tighted each bolt 1/4 then spin the axle and make sure its good. It goes fine untill i get it to where it starting to get tight. spin another time. its fine. but when i tighten the last bit, i spin the axle and hear cracking. When i pull it out the bearing is all apart and has little metal pieces in it.

I dont know if i am doing something wrong... but please correct me if you will. They are the same way the bearings were before i had replaced the axle's.

These pics are from each side, the one bearing that is apart is the after effect, and the bearing that is still assembled is before i put them in. If anyone has any expirience with this rear, please help. Willing to take any more pics if needed...

Shot with FE230/X790 at 2007-07-08
Shot with FE230/X790 at 2007-07-08URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]
Old 07-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I wish I could help you, but Ive never had to touch mine. Just dont give up on it, once you figure it out its a tough rear end at the track. Ive got about 500 track passes, most launching at 5k on bf drags, and the thing never broke anything. Wish my SS had one....
Old 07-13-2007, 08:47 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

your info does not make much sense but I'll try and help. The outer race ( the one that sits in the axle tube over the bearing ) should be slid in first by hand. It should go fairly easily dont hammer it just make sure its lined up straight and by hand you should be able to get it in there. Slide it all the way into the seat. Then CAREFULLY so you dont nick the race slide the axle into the tube and again by hand you should be able to get the bearing slid right into the race and the seal most of the way in. Probably all the way in seeing as you have used seals. The retaining plate is only there to hold the assembly together and add a very slight amount of pre load ( think front rotor bearings pre load verrrry little )

If you are having to use the retaining plates to tighten the axle into the housing then there is something wrong. Everything should slide together by hand and the retaining plates keep it all together

Quick Reply: Borg Warner 9 bolt