Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Has anyone try this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone try this?

I was lookin throw the summitracing catalog and was wordering has anyone use summitracings gears?What about motive gears?I am goin from a 2.73s to 3.73s in a A4 and no i am not goin to a stall until ready for a new tranny.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default summit gears

Well I live right there by summit in akron Oh. I ahve tried 3 sets 2 12 bolt and one 8.5. All set like .... well lets just say the 12 bolt gears did not even pattern out. Just a garbage Richmond gear I here through the grape vine.

Richmonds less quality checked gears is what I mean. Alot of companies do this now. They are not checked as well as a gear with the companies name on it. Value gear is an example and all the real cheap gears that are new on ebay too. We the public are so cheap we buy them thinking they are saving a ton but in the long run the labor to set them correctly and who knows how long they will last if you can ever get them to the point of running...lol.

This is a case of you get what you pay for. FOR SURE.

The gears are not terrible but just not perfect either. All depends on your anality I guess. I have a business so we need some level of standards to keep even and constant.

Again this is only info on 3 gear sets . I you have low expectations and not looking for long life and quiet gears they will probably work for you. I now have a No Summit gear policy...lol. If they bring them for set up I can not do the rear. I am not rude about it i just try to help them see the trouble they are infor and if they disagree then we just do not work out a deal split and go. Just too much labor. I try to avoid Richmond for the street also. THAT is tough to do since we do muscle car diffs and alot have 10 bolt rear that only Richmond gear suppies gears for like 12 bolt 'O' type and pontiac buick and olds 8.2 etc.

Sorry this was long winded. Jim

JD Race
Old 07-17-2007, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really never had an issue with motive gears ...used them, like them.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:10 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Richmond gears cost about $30.00 more than Motive gears. I highly doubt Summit's brand are Richmond, they are probably Motive. I also get Motive gears through an off name brand, and we've had pretty good luck with them. Bob
Old 07-18-2007, 06:27 AM
TECH Regular

thanks guys well i guess motive gears well be the next order i make.