Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pinion difficult to turn in one direction.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion difficult to turn in one direction.

I had new gears and differential installed a couple months ago and I've noticed that the pinion is harder to turn one direction than the other. Either way I think they are to difficult to turn because I can easily spin my 2.73 rear but these 4.10s seem harder to turn. Any ideas?

Also, I have a strange noise coming from either the rear or the tranny. I haven't been able to completely diagnose. All bearings in the rear are brand new. But it makes an almost metal-on-metal sound. Kind of like your brakes are rubbing. I know its not the brakes because I've torn it down to bare axles and it still makes the noise. Any ideas?
Old 07-19-2007, 10:07 PM
11 Second Club

what year is your car???if its a 98 or back it uses a clutch type auburn diff...which requires the use of lsd addettive....thats kinda what it sounds like ....what im sayin is your posi isnt unlocking....mine does it alot when in turns and slowing down.....kind of a growling sound.....the tightness is normal give it a few thousand miles and it will loosen up.....In the mean time try a fluid change with some gm lsd addetive....you can get it at your local gm dealer
Old 07-20-2007, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet you are observing this condition in rotational resistance... with the driveshaft still installed. That... is normal.

Check your transmission 'tail housing' bearing (its actually a bushing) and driveshaft yoke. If the yoke shows any weird wear... definately take a look at the bushing.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Teching In

I guess I'll give the whole background to the story.

I have a 2000 that came with 2.73s on a torsen. I wanted to change the gears but found a whole rear setup with 3.73s for cheaper than I could buy the gears and install it. I probably got a few thousand miles out of the rear before I blew the gears apart.

Order a set of 4.10s w/ master install kit. Had a guy install it. Took it back to him because of the grinding noise, so we tore it apart to find out that just after the install, one of the ends of the differential where the diff bearings sit had broken off (probably cracked when the gears went and the 4.10s finished them off).

So I found a good used auburn differential and had him install it with new differential bearings. Grinding noise still there. So now the grinding noise was there before the new diff and after. So it might be a pinion bearing, or something with the transmission.

Since replacing the differential, I've replaced both axle bearings and seals which means I've redone the fluid with lsd additive. Well, I didn't get a good seal on the cover so I had to redo it. Which means I've replaced the fluid with lsd twice since the new differential.

Also the problem with turning the pinion is with the driveshaft removed. (I believe)

I'll be installing a 6spd in the car in the next week or two so we will find out if it was a noise with the tranny or rearend.

But keep the ideas coming.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Teching In

ttt...
Old 07-23-2007, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this grinding noise with the axles in the housing?? Have you checked the outer axle bearings? Whenever I hear "growling" noises, I always thinking bearing issue.

Even though the bearings were new, there is always that chance that something got into them during install, or during the first drive... Pieces of dirt, little pieces of broken ring gear, RTV...

The way I diagnosed rear noises in the past was to take the driveshaft off and take the axle shafts out. Then I put an electric drill on the pinion nut and spin the pinion up. If you dont hear noise, install the axles and repeat. I found bad carrier bearings in my dana 44 before doing that.

The reason I suggested the outer wheel bearings, is because it seems like the noise is following the housing...no matter what you put/repair inside the housing. And with the big chunk of metal that the rear is...the sound can amplify through the axle tube, to the chassis via the control arms, shocks, springs, panhard...etc.

Just a thought.

Justin
Old 07-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Is this grinding noise with the axles in the housing?? Have you checked the outer axle bearings? Whenever I hear "growling" noises, I always thinking bearing issue.

Even though the bearings were new, there is always that chance that something got into them during install, or during the first drive... Pieces of dirt, little pieces of broken ring gear, RTV...

The way I diagnosed rear noises in the past was to take the driveshaft off and take the axle shafts out. Then I put an electric drill on the pinion nut and spin the pinion up. If you dont hear noise, install the axles and repeat. I found bad carrier bearings in my dana 44 before doing that.

The reason I suggested the outer wheel bearings, is because it seems like the noise is following the housing...no matter what you put/repair inside the housing. And with the big chunk of metal that the rear is...the sound can amplify through the axle tube, to the chassis via the control arms, shocks, springs, panhard...etc.

Just a thought.

Justin
Axle bearings were replaced after the noise started, since I thought it was them.