Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Read end trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Read end trouble

I just spent about 2 hours looking for any information, and nothing.

My read end just started howling, under accel its howl's pretty loud, decel, nothing, quiet as can be. When you left off the gas the whole *** end of the car moves to the right, and getting back on the gas same thing, whole *** end of the car jerks like an inch or 2 to the right.

Its obvious the howl could be because of low fluid, but why would the car jerk so much? Tranny mount is fine, motor mounts are too. it just started doing this as soon as I heard the howl.

Even when you drive the car and just shift normally around 2200 or 2500 it still jerks, almost unsafe to drive it, I'm not driving it anymore BTW.

Another thing when the car is on jack stands, the passenger axles can be moved in and out about 1/2 an inch. I know this is bad, but I don't know what could cause so much play.

But what could be wrong with my read end? Bearings? Ring gear, maybe a new rear end? Any input would be helpful.

TIA
Matt
Old 07-21-2007, 05:17 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really could be a combination due to being run low of gear oil. I had a guy call and wanted to drive his car to my shop to have u check out his 10 bolt rear. About 100 miles from my shop it broke down on him. He said he could put it in gear, and the car wouldn't move. I was headed towards a dragstrip fairly close to where his car was the next day, so I picked it up. We removed the rear cover to drain the gear oil, there wasn't any, not even a drop. What was also missing were teeth on the ring and pinion!

Is your pinion seal leaking? The car above had been for some time. The only way you are going to find out what is wrong is to take it apart. The 10 bolt rear in these cars is too small, and everything breaks. Bob
Old 07-22-2007, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Default Axle end play

I do not see how you can have that much end play on the axle in and out. the c-clip is only an 1/8 inch thick and would have fallen out by now. Sure it is a 1/2" play? Spyder gears could be messed up cause the cones to have alot of slop. Does the posi work or no? How about shocks and shock bolts. That will make the rear of the car fell like it is shifty upon accel and decell and in hard corners. If you gun your caR ALOT THE SHOCKS TAKE ALOT OF PUNISHMENT TRYING TO CONTROL ALL THAT force inthe rear. How about the track rods and bushings see what they look like and feel if there is any cluncky excessive movements there. Just have to keep looking at all the suspension part first and make sure they are good before jumping to bigger problems. Good luck, we are here for you. Jim
Old 07-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Default end play

Ok forgot to answer that. end play will be cause by a bent carrier pinion shaft (big pin that goes through the carrier case and the 2 spider gears spin on it and it is held in with a retaining bolt. Cones are wiped out and or spider gears are worn past spec and tolerance. bent c-clips worn axle shaft button slot that holds the c-clip in place on the spline end of the axle. All these things can and will affect the axle end play. Jim