Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

using of dial indicator (rearend)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 03:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question using of dial indicator (rearend)

I've seen some pics, but I didn't figure it out ...

would someone explains how to do that ? with pics if avaiable

Old 07-29-2007, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What do you want to know? The pic is setup to check backlash. You hold the pinion and case still, and rotate the ring gear back and forth. The dial will indicate the amount of gear backlash you have.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

^ He's right of course. I did mine with the differential installed because my axle doesn't have a third member like the Ford 9 inchers. There was about .005 of free movement. I also put the stem to the outside diameter of the ring to check for run-out. I saw about .004 TIR.

Anyway, that one inch travel dial is connected to a magnetic base. The dial and base have what is called universal swivel clamps. This allows you to place the magnetic base on a flat surface such as the machined housing face you see in your pic. With the swivel clamps you position the tip of the indicator stem on the face (side) of one ring gear tooth. As you can see, the indicator is near the outer edge where free movement would "show" the most easily. One inch travel dial indicators with a magnetic base and swivel clamps are so incredibly inexpensive compared to the days when I was buying my machinist tools. Something like $40 gets you a nice set-up. I paid 3 times that 35 years ago when a $5 hourly wage considered good money.