Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

is my diff done for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is my diff done for?

well for the last couple weeks id get a single knock from my rear when getting out of the water box....i always thought it was just an lca bolt that had come lose....a few days ago i was leaving the shop and as i did a left hand u turn i heard a steady knocking in the rear that sounded as if it did it in a circular motion...the next day i put the car in the pit and checked all my bolts...they were all tight so i decided to service my diff since it had been a while...
when i pulled the cover off the inside was full of bubbles and metal shavings...didnt look like glitter more like metallic sand....there was also a few tips of the spider gears floating around the bottom of the case...so i cleaned everyhting and drove the car again...didnt change a thing...if anything it made it worse....lol should i just put a banana in it and be over with it...lol JK!

taking off from a stop it does not knock or shake...
going staight or turning right it does not do anything abnormal either...
its only when making a left hand turn that the car shakes and clunks out of the rear....

im going to save up for a 9 inch anyways, but i woud just like to know if its alright to drive around for the time being....im not gonna beat on it, just kinda need a car with AC for the summer time...my honda isnt exactly street friendly....
Old 07-30-2007, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

replace the spider gears
Old 07-30-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

seems like there is more to it than that....the chunks came off the spider gears, but for the life of me i cant figure out where all this flake came from....the texture is ike wet sand....

would a couple nicked teeth on the spider gears exhibit thesymptoms i am having? (only makes noise and clunks while turning left)
Old 07-31-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

in for more input...

is it ok to drive this car for the time being?
im not going to beat on it...just to get me here and there....