Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need assistance or direction

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007 | 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Default Need assistance or direction

I have a 2002 T/A, all stock. I have owned for about 2.5 years. I have noticed a noise coming from rear end. the noise is a little louder than the exhaust (which isn't saying much since its stock) Whenever the car is moving it makes like a whirring noise. the only thing I can compare it to is a helicopter blade. The faster I go the faster the whirling. Car seems to drive ok, can anyone tell me what might be wrong. I was going to take it to the dealer to have fixed, but wanted to get some opinons on what might be wrong. I am NO mechanic so I have no idea what could be wrong. I was going to wait until I get my bonus in sept. to have it fixed as I have no warranty anymore. I daily drive the car about 11 miles monday thru friday to work. Will I cause potentially more damage to the rear by not getting fixed right away? Don't really want to charge it on credit card. Also anyone could tell me what I might expect the cost to have fixed thanks guys
Old 08-07-2007 | 01:29 PM
Internet Mechanic

Sounds like the rear is dying, from the 1st obervation.

BUT you could do this. Get the diff serviced, new fluid and GM additive.

Question: How many miles, on it the car/rear, how many put on by yourself, and do you drive it hard, race? Please be honest.

I suspect if you drive it like a saint and has decent miles, its prob previous owner abuse.
Old 08-07-2007 | 03:05 PM
On The Tree

It has 42500 miles on it. It had about 19000 when I bought it. It was onwed by a womand that rarely drove it. I don't think she raced it. I have never taken it to the track, but have done probably 50 freeway wots and a couple from a dig. It is an auto with 3.23's. If it's the rear end going out is that very expensive?
Old 08-07-2007 | 05:39 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Might be worth taking a look at your brakes and make sure everything is as it should be. Especially the parking brake. I left mine on once with the tunes blaring and drove about 20' before realizing and it made some funny noises afterwards for a while. Just a thought nothing to lose