Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Lubrication Engineering gear oils?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lubrication Engineering gear oils?

ATTN: chicane; Have you ever heard of this stuff. I spoke to a local rear axle builder and he said this company's product is superior to both Torco RGO AND Schaeffer's #209 in the mineral based gear oil realm.

Anyone else use this stuff, or heard of it. They're out of Ft. Worth, and have been around since the early '50s
Old 08-24-2007, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup... I know of their product line very well.

Long story short. I had one of those LE "salesmen" come by my shop one day with all of little gizmos that "test" or show you a visual representation of what the product is "does" and what others "dont" do as well. Needless to say, I introduced every Schaffer product that I have to match what he brought with him and I put into his little testing gizmos. The end result... was that the Schaffer products outright did perform better than that of the equal LE product line. He himself... was speechless after that fact and became a very good customer of ours.

Im not saying the the LE stuff is bad at all. In fact, it is better than most other product lines out there. It is a really good mineral oil based product... and I would agree... in the mineral based realm. Schaffer is parrifin based, so that isnt even a valid comparison to begin with. No matter what you bring to the table... a salesman... is a salesman. Nothing is going to be as good as his product.

The fact of the matter is... after working with them over the years I have a bunch of custom blended LE 'Monolec' 90wt stuff (we use it in specialized Landspeed efforts) for use in Muncie/BW/Richmond/Jerico fourspeeds... and it does work the best for its intended use of all products I have tried... in that application.

But not for differential use... the Schaffer and Torco stuff in my opinion is better.

Last edited by chicane; 08-24-2007 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:07 PM
12 Second Club

THANKS for the reply/info!! I kinda wanted to stick with Torco anyway since I don't have to buy a gallon at a time, AND I can blend the 80W-90 and 85W-140 for winter use.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

chicane; a lot of the BITOG peeps are suggesting the Chevron Delo ESI as the best "off the shelf" stuff one can buy (if I have trouble finding the 209 or RGO). It contains a good amount of borate. Any reason to avoid this if I can find it locally??
Old 08-26-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were to use it... I would steer more towards the "RPM" straight weight version. It is offered in 90 and 140... and obvisously I would select the 140 for performance use.

To find the others locally, go to their respective website's and look for it under the dealers in your local area. It can be a little surprising when you find that even the little automotive joints that you would never think of... actually carry them. But, none-the-less... if you can not or do not want to purchase SGO or Torco online, a local supplier that carries the straight weight ESI would suit.

Quick Reply: Lubrication Engineering gear oils?