Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Has anyone ever...?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever...?????

I was racing a mustang in my ws6 which I was smoking like no other. I was in third gear when I started making a little bend(to the right) in the road.(not big at all but enough to make you kinda uncomfortable) all of a sudden when I went to shift to 4th I must have pulled it down into 2nd. It actually went into 2nd and I let off the clutch and the tires locked up and it was a rollercoaster ride from there!! I nearly hit the curb and a light pole but somehow straightened her out. my car died and then coasted to a stop and would not start back up. I checked everyting out and there didnt seem to be anything broken or leaking and the mustang guy said he didnt see anything coming out the back(he would know cause remember he had the best view of my rearend!!) anyway, the car finally started and there doesnt seem to be any problems that i can hear or see. Do yall think if something would have been wrong it would have been readily apparent at the time. please let me know. TIA!!
Old 05-28-2003, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone ever...?????

I'd worry about bent pushrods and the maximum rpm it actually reached. If that all checks out, I'd say it's probably ok. Good luck!
Old 05-28-2003, 10:17 AM
Teching In

How would I know if I bent a push rod? would it idle weird and be loud. The engine doesnt sound any different. It has a rev limiter so I guess only 6k rpms was the max! thanks.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How would I know if I bent a push rod? would it idle weird and be loud. The engine doesnt sound any different. It has a rev limiter so I guess only 6k rpms was the max! thanks.
the limiter doesnt protect against a mechanical over rev . and the best spot to listen for bent push rods is under the car. thats when i could hear mine the most
Old 05-28-2003, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you probably bent all 16 push rods, I broke one and all the rest were not quite straight, now would be a good time for some chromeoly push rods, the car would seem like its running fine since its self tuneing, but at least check, take off a valve cover and find a valve thats closed, take off that rocker and out the push rod, get a straight CLEAN glass table to roll the push rod on, if you can see light underneath it or can tell its warped, most likeley all of them are, but either way push rods in the ls1 are a weak point, one of only a few, go with the chromeoly!!!

btw, on that closed valve, when you put the rocker back on, tighten the bolt to 22ft lbs
Old 05-28-2003, 05:54 PM
Teching In

I dont hear anything unusual though. ive heard that the car wont idle right and there is alot of clicking. should i take it to the dealership and if so what do i tell them happened. also now i cant really catch 2nd anymore but it may be do to the higher altitude of where I am now. my car never runs good where i go to school. please let me know. TIA!!!!