Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Tire Height ????

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tire Height ????

I'm doing the winter mods after the first of the year. I've decided to go with the Mcleod Twin Disk, a DTS 9" Ford rearend, and I want to change from the Nitto's to ET Streets. There lies the problem. I've read in many places that the gear I want to use, 4:10's, will require me to go to a 28" tire. Okay, no problem. The ET Streets have a 28" tire. I currently have the ZR1 wheels on my SS and really would like to keep it that way. I've found where they have a 16" ZR1 wheel, but guess what, the 28" tire only comes in a 15" wheel and that they do not make. I've asked everywhere and nobody makes a 15" ZR1 wheel. So, my question is, what kind of impact is going with a 4:10 gear and having a 26" tall tire going to have on me at the track? From what I've read it's a matter of which gear your going through the traps in. Is that the only issue?
Thanks
Old 12-16-2002, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tire Height ????

Most people I know with 4.10's run 26" high tires. I see lots of ET Streets on 16" rims and they are just fine.

Since you have a M6 then a 26" tire is just fine. You may want to do a search for gear calculator in the drivetrain section and plugin tires and gears to see what you want.

Personally I run 4.56 gears with a 28" Hoosier and cross the traps at about 6k in 4th.

<small>[ December 16, 2002, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: FastAl ]</small>