Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What gear install kit do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What gear install kit do I need?

First of all, thanks up front for any help you all can give me. My car is an 02 z28 with only 12k miles and my rear end is completely stock. My mods are in my signature. I have a set of 3.73 Strange gears i want to install but i need to know what install kit i need. here are my options from Ratech:

Basic Kit: Includes pinion shims, crush sleeve, pinion seal & cover gasket
Complete Kit: Includes pinion shims, carrier shims, crush sleeve, pinion seal, pinion nut, ring gear bolts, cover gasket, and pinion & carrier bearings
Deluxe Kit: Includes pinion shims, carrier shims, crush sleeve, pinion seal, pinion nut, ring gear bolts, cover gasket, pinion & carrier bearings, PLUS wheel bearings and seals. (All of the small parts and pieces necessary to RESTORE an axle to like new condition!)

i was told that with my low miles, i will not need the deluxe kit. so i am deciding between the basic and complete. i was advised to get the complete kit by the tech who will be doing the install. he also advised me to get a solid pinion spacer to use instead of the crush sleeve for more durability and strength. id like some of the gear/rear end gurus in here to advise me on this: which kit will be better and do i need the solid pinion spacer?
Old 11-25-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

lil help fellas??
Old 11-25-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with only 12k you could do the basic kit. its just now really broken in with 12k.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I personally would go with the complete kit.Its just added insurance not using old bolts and nuts.Besides it better to replace them bearings now while your in there instead of later on down the road.The solid pinion spacer is a good upgrade also.Takes the possible slop facter out of the pinion and im pretty sure it is reusable if you ever have to disassemble the rearend again
Old 11-25-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

complete kit. Like was mentioned with your low miles you really dont need to change the axle bearings.