Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

noise from the rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise from the rear

i drive a 2000 z28 a4, and when i do 30-50 mph i hear a grinding noise from the rear. slower than 30 and faster than 50 i dont hear anything. wat do u guys think the problem is? i think its the axels.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: noise from the rear

Hope my experience will help. I had a really strange noise on my car and first attacked the Wheel bearings as the solution. If it is in fact your WB's your lucky because it's pretty easy and straight forward to replace them. You will need to remove the Diff Cover, Pull the Lock Pin from the Posi Unit Slide your axles in (which requires removing the wheel and Caliper) The C-Clip will literally Fall out in the Posi. Just reach and and retrieve it.. Slide your Axles out and have a look.. Here's what bad ones look like

Axle 1

Axle 2

Axle 3

My story is long though and the axle bearings were only part of my issue. I also had bad Carrier Bearings and the source of all the noise on my rear-end.

Good LucK!

Old 07-08-2003, 09:29 PM
Teching In

I have a similar problem that has gotten progressivly worse. When ever making low speed turns(like into a driveway), I get a popping/grinding noise from the passenger rear. Any thoughts???? I am taking it to the dealer next week t get it checked.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:27 AM
Teching In

i agree with StalkerLS1....sounds like a carrier bearing going out...in fact, mine is going out again

but since i haven't had bad wheel bearings, i guess i should try to describe the noise for you...i notice it at all speeds above about 25 mph...it gets progressively worse, slowly, over time...you will hear it in all gears, and even if you shift into neutral and coast...it is a semi-high pitched, continuous sound...but not so much a "grinding" noise as it is a metal-on-metal twisting, sliding sound

i do road races about 5 times a year, with 3 or 4 autocrosses thrown in for good measure...the last shop told me that was the cause...the first carrier bearing was replaced at about 70K miles...i am not at 109K and need to do it again...which seems too short of a time period...think i'll try a different shop this time