Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Problem with major bog at launch

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003 | 01:18 AM
Teching In

Default Problem with major bog at launch

I have spent months reading these forums and have learned a lot. I have a 1999 SS with some exhaust and intake mods. I dynoed at 300 RWHP and about the same torque. I think I have a problem. I can't spin my tires unless I dump the clutch at 3500 rpm. If I just floor it at a normal rpm from stop, it bogs until the rpms get up to about 3000. The guys at R&E Racing say it's becasue my gears are too tall. I think I have a 3.42 (says GU6 on the door where all the part numbers are listed)which doesn't seem to be too tall. I get smoked off the line by most stock z28's with automatic transmissions. Does anyone else experience this? Should this be happening? It's kind of embarrassing when I am next to some rice rocket.

-----------------------------------------------------------
1999 Camaro SS with Direct Flo Induction Lid, SLP 85mm MAF sensor, SLP Cold Air, SLP Strut Tower Brace, SLP Sub-frame Connectors, Ripper Shifter, SLP Catback with Loudmouth Exhaust.
Old 07-03-2003 | 02:44 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Problem with major bog at launch

The car comes stock with 3.42 gears when they have a 6 speed. Its not uncommon for an automatic LS1 to take a manual trans equipt LS1 off the line. To take off quickly there are two ways:1) bring up the rpms and dump the clutch but to do this you need some sticky tires or you will just smoke the stock tires. The other method is to bring the rpms up a little(say 2000-3000)then slip the clutch. This takes some practice and will net you your best ETS until you get some tires and cam dump at a higher RPM. The slip method will take a toll on your clutch though. See an automatic doesn't have these issues, just floor the gas and hang on, but a 6 speed will destroy an automatic from a roll(start racing at 15 mph or higher, not from a stop).Your best bet is to take the car to the 1/4 mile track and get some practice. With a decent track, good driving, and a decent clutch you should be able to turn an ET between 13.0-13.6 @ 102-108mph with a 60ft time of 1.8-2.2. These are average stats unless you are in a high elevation area. If your ETs are really far off along with MPH far off but your 60fts are in the 1.8-2.2 range and you shifted fine then you may have a problem with the car.
Old 07-03-2003 | 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gears, but if you run sticky tires the rear isn't gonna last, I have 4.11's on street tires try launching that !!!
Old 07-04-2003 | 12:18 AM
Teching In

I learn a little more each day about my car. Thanks for the info. I guess you are saying that's normal. Yes, my clutch is now going out from "slipping" it at about 2000.

What about upgrading to a 4.11 gear? Do you think that would make a big difference? Am I going to lose a lot of power? What do you think about the GM Performance 4.11 gears?
Old 07-04-2003 | 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Perhaps the best solution is more power. I'd add a safe 100 shot .
Old 07-04-2003 | 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

3.73s or 4.10s will help. Even if you baby it off the line to prevent breaking, the extra gear will help you recover faster.
Old 07-05-2003 | 01:41 AM
Teching In

Thanks everyone. I am grateful.