Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Do differential covers really help and if so how?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Do differential covers really help and if so how?

I'm doing 4.10 gears pretty soon and maybe even 4.56's. I had a TA cover and stud kit down as part of the install and a few people told me not to waste my money. Do these help and if so, how? One of the guys I talked to said he has never seen a snapped bolt on a 10-bolt and wouldn't buy a cover or stud-kit until he has.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Do differential covers really help and if so how?

They help because that aluminum will dissipate heat in the diffrential and some toehr stuff to. I think they also preload the bearings, and I in the new issue of GM high tech where David Coates (poolfanatic) put down a 18.81 with that and 3.73's and it held together. This was on tires too.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:43 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do these help and if so, how? One of the guys I talked to said he has never seen a snapped bolt on a 10-bolt and wouldn't buy a cover or stud-kit until he has.
Not exactly sure what he meant, but I put a girdle with pre-load caps on my '94 back when she was a baby and about 600 passes later I still have the original rear end.

They help by holding the axle bearing caps in place and preventing flex. Flex will kill you as it allows gear teeth and axel splines to come out of contact with their proper mating surfaces and then Bang! you break.

I did think the rear took a dump once. Was popping and grinding like a *****. Took it all apart and could not find anything wrong Put it all back together and it's been fine ever since

Big fan of the girdle.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...21&fpart=1
Old 07-07-2003, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anybody would like to get rid of one or an extra one, let me know, and I'll buy it..