Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ford 9" posi problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford 9" posi problems

So I bought a 9" center chunk on ebay last summer. Ok flame away....

When I boguht the chunk, it had a new set of gears and a rebuilt ford trac-lok posi. I checked the mesh pattern and everything looked good. I put the chunk in with the small bottle of ford friction modifier and posi gear oil in the axel. I went through a brake in procedure of about 5-10 miles driving and let it cool, and did that a couple times. Right now everything feels fine and it makes no noises at all.

So the problem is the posi. At first when I would turn around in the driveway(stone) you could see the inside tire ripping up the gorund. I will admit that after a couple houndred miles of easy driving I have beat on it, couple burnouts, some dounughts

So right now it seems as though the differential is completly open. Under full throttle shifting from 1st-2nd, the passenger side tires just spins like mad. On every turn, giving it alittle gas will result in the inside tire only spinning.

So, It would seem I have smoked the posi. I am going to change the gear oil anyways, so sHould I take it apart and try to rebuild it? Should I put one of them eaton E-Z lockers in it, or a true locker?

Any input or advise would be great.

thanks, Matt