Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Driveshaft clearance/length question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft clearance/length question?

Ok I've seen a lot of posts talking about this but none with the exact answer I'm looking for. Basically I just installed a Moser 12 bolt with the upgraded 1350 yoke. I have a stock torque arm now but will be putting in a Sphoon Adj shortly. I've heard of problems with this particular Yoke and DS being too long. What I'm looking for is exactly how much clearance I need before my ds bottoms out in the tranny. What I did was basically load up the suspension. ie. put jack stands under the lower control arms and made car level so that car was at ride height. Took off the ubolts connecting to the driveshaft on the pinion and basically pushed the DS into the tranny until it stopped. I have aproximately .5" clearance before I hit the tranny. Is this sufficient or do I need more? I've heard anywhere from .5-1.75 is what you need but have never seen a consise answer and don't want to take off too much but don't want to risk breaking my tranny either.
My mods are as follows (ie. nothing major such as a SC or Nitrous yet :-):
Fast toys ram air, lid, KN air filter, Descreen maf, !EGR mod, LS6 intake, Ferrea Intake & Exhaust valves, Comp cam pushrods, I think 218 Springs, Titanium retainers, 3 angle valve job, ARE ported oil pump, Water wetter, NGK TR55 plugs, Tayler 10.5 MM wires, BMR Subframe connectors, slotted front rotors, Pro 5.0 shifter, 2002 LS6 clutch, 2001 Master & Slave Hydrolics, I believe Strange 4:10 gears, Auburn Pro Diff, TR224 Cam, SLP Long tubes, SLP Y-pipe, Random Tech high flow Cats,
Old 07-11-2003, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Default Re: Driveshaft clearance/length question?

Well for everyone else's info I looked at my friend's setup who has a stock rear end and he had about 1.5" between drive shaft yoke end and end of tranny (not the seal) where I had about .5" when suspension is loaded. I will be getting 1" taken off my DS. I know this is a rough measurement but I hope it's close enough
Old 07-11-2003, 10:54 PM
TECH Junkie

1" shorter seems in line with what I've seen posted in the past.
FWIW, my Strange with 1350 measured 44" from the yoke to the tailshaft (per this diagram http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/html/b.html ). Denny told me this was in line with what he generally got from us F-body guys with 12-bolts.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

3/4" is the minimum allowed.