Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Stock Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Rear End

02 Camaro SS, will be pushing 475 HP to the rear wheels when running again. As of now all i have done is put a 4:10 gear with a auburn posi unit in it... A guy was telling me that mine will hold up if I add moser axles, Heavy duty rear end cover and a back brace... Is this true????
Old 02-29-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, it won't last for long unless you don't plan to hook-up or use the power. Just the way it is.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:12 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sooner or later the weak 7.5" Chevy S-10 derived 10 bolt is going to break. I wouldn't waste any money into attempting to build up the 10 bolt, it just doesn't work. There isn't one strong point to the stocker. For those of you with a six speed transmission, the 10 bolt has broken on many M6 cars with stock power. Expect the worse to happen... 3:73 gears in the Moser rear-end is a good compromise, especially when adding a lot of power to the engine.
I recommend the 9 inch rear for the higher horsepowered cars, and for those who have a manual transmission. Here is why.
Put a 12 bolt into a early Chevelle, Nova, Camaro, etc and you can beat the crap out of it, and not hurt anything. Put one into one of our cars with a torque arm, make a couple 4000 to 5000 dragstrip launches, and I can just about guarantee you'll pick up gear noise. If it is a drag only car, you'll never know or care about the gear noise. Drive your car home from the track, and the noise will drive you nuts. I feel the torque arm stresses the 12 bolt housing, causing distortion. We have never seen this happen with the 9 inch housing. Bob