Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Bad rear-end?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bad rear-end?

Well back in october I changed my rer-end fluid and yesterday my dad told me that there were fluid drops where my rear-end is. Could the gasket have been put on wrong? I also usedthe RTV sealant.

Also sometimes when I am giving it gas around a curve I hear this rubbing/grinding coming from the rear. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Its a stock 10-bolt with 3.23 gears with 98k miles
Old 03-01-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pinion seal?

Bad carrier bearing?
Old 03-01-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you are getting drops of fluid then either your cover gasket is leaking or your pinion seal is leaking(f-bodies are notorious for leaking pinion seals!). also, pull the rear wheels and brakes off to look at the axle seals, make sure they are not leaking.
as for the noise... did u use posi additive when u did the rearend? check the fluid lever to make sure you are not low on gear oil. if thats ok then you might need to start pulling it apart to check the axle bearings and races on each side of the carrier. look for any pitting. check the axles and bearings for pitting too. you might also want to check your pinion bearing and race. check the backlash on your gears. take a look at your carrier, make sure nothing is broken. you should probably check your u-joint too. when you put it back together use posi additive. i recomend using a gasket maker called "Right Stuff" for the cover and no gasket or just a plain gasket. i have rebuilt several 10 bolts this should cover any possible problem you have with it. good luck
Old 03-01-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I changed the rear end fluid I used Mobil 1 and GM additive.