Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What rear end?

I just bought a 99 Camaro Z28, five days ago. To my knowlege it is all stock. I had it up on the lift the other night and the rear end looked odd. I'm trying to figure out if this is the original rear end or something else. There is no metal tag to be found and only these numbers stamped on it: 26041414 is there any way to run these numbers to find out what rear end this is? I appreciate all the help you can provide. Thanks

Justin
Old 07-22-2003, 11:52 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: What rear end?

Why did it look "odd". Can you describe it better? Maybe snap a photo of it?

If the factory torque arm is mounted directly to the housing without an adapter bracket, it can only be a stock 10-bolt or an aftermarket 12-bolt. Those can be told apart visually, as the 12 is physically larger.

Tony
Old 07-23-2003, 11:52 PM
Teching In

well the rear axel is all rust colored and the brackets and everything else is still fresh looking and the front rotors are bigger than the back. i couldnt find any tag on the pumpkin. the only thing i found was the numbers 26041414, i called gm and they said it was not a gm part number and that i had 342 gears, someone told me to call ford, they said it was not a ford part either and that a ford rear end would not fit on my car to try calling jeep. after looking again i did find a gm symbol with the numbers and letter L14 i think, also i went to another site and it said that i have a 346 but my owners book said that i have a 350? i just want to find out as much about this car as i can. thanks for your help... i will take a pic of it tomorrow and send it to you if you want me to...

frankie...
Old 07-24-2003, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

first, count the number of bolts on the perimiter of the round part of the rear axle. there shoudl be 10

if there are 10 bolts, check brake lines, see if they are in some clips that are permanently fixed to the axle tubes, and the piece that connects the flexible brake line to the steel line is actualy bolted to the housing.

if there are more than 10 bolts, or there are zip straps or soemthign else holding the brake lines on, its probably not the stock rear end.

If it looks like it has been replaced but has 10 bolts and the brake lines are on right, its possible the previous owner broke it and replaced it with another stock one.

with a picture ill bet 99% of the people on this site could identify it in 10 seconds...

as for the engine size, it is a 346, but its very commonly reffered to as a 350.

Old 07-24-2003, 11:07 PM
Teching In

i have ten bolts and the break lines are permanently fixed to the axle tubes, i will have the pic up friday...

thanks...
Old 07-25-2003, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like a 10 bolt to me.

Quick Reply: What rear end?