Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How to remove stripped bolt???

Old 03-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove stripped bolt???

I just picked up a different rebuilt 10 bolt with 4.10's for a spare. The person I bought the diff from wants the backing plates and brakes back for another project. I removed the diff cover and went to remove the 8mm bolt that holds the center pin in place because I had to pull the axles.

Whoever rebuilt the rearend managed to totally round the head on the 8mm bolt. I have tried to tap on 2 different 9/32 sockets onto the head of the bolt. One socket split in the process of trying to stretch, while the other one turned on the head of the bolt. I then stepped down to a 7mm socket. I managed to heat one up and then pound it on, but it too split in the process of removal. The second 7mm will not expand or stretch enough to go over the bolt head.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to try next???

Any help is appreciated
Old 03-23-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd pick up a set of sockets specially made for removing rounded off bolts. The pattern kind of looks like a flower, and when you loosen it, it bites into the bolt so it won't slip off/break like a regular socket that's pounded on.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

I shall purchase a set of these fine sounding sockets tomorrow and carry on with the strippping of the differential and not the stripping of the bolt head
Old 03-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Banned

Heat the bolt head and pound a black torx socket on there.
They have a nice thick torx socket set at autozone, lifetime warranty so you can get a new one when you're done.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Just an update....the sockets for removing rounded off bolt heads that were reccomended worked very very well. No effort at all required. Now if I could just get the rest of my suspension stuff here I could start ripping the car apart

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to remove stripped bolt???