Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Why break in new gears?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by landonew
How come new cars don't require that? or do they?
Jawsgear states new cars are reccomended to be broken in....I believe he is wrong...... [although it would be the wiser move,of course]
Old 05-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Banned

So, you guys are giving me permission. The next time anyone tests drives a Corvette or the new Camaro. To backhand them across the nose if they get on either of these NEW CARS, right?

Nothing new, I've been doing that for years. I've been selling vehicles on and off for four decades. I've never allowed anyone to abuse a car in my inventory until they owned it. I've felt it's not fair to the person buying a new car to drive an abused vehicle. Driving a new car is one thing. Abusing it is another....

Jakes Dad
Old 05-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Launching!

its similar to breaking in a motor so the valves can seat
Old 05-20-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
So, you guys are giving me permission. The next time anyone tests drives a Corvette or the new Camaro. To backhand them across the nose if they get on either of these NEW CARS, right?

Nothing new, I've been doing that for years. I've been selling vehicles on and off for four decades. I've never allowed anyone to abuse a car in my inventory until they owned it. I've felt it's not fair to the person buying a new car to drive an abused vehicle. Driving a new car is one thing. Abusing it is another....

Jakes Dad
Just be glad I haven't shown up at your dealership. Let's see, mustangs, camaros, 1 lotus, 1 vette, 1 cayman, 1 350, several pontiacs have all been abused by me
Old 05-20-2008, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bad Blu Formula
The break in period is not determined by miles but instead by heat cycles. All you need to do is go through 2 heat cycles consisting of drivinmg the car for about 15 minutes and then letting everything cool off completely.
Thanks for the info.. I've heard about breaking gears and new rear ends in before, but when I asked an old schooler, he said out off all the racecars and things he's had, that he never heard of it or did it and he hasn't had any whine. If I do anyswapping in, I'll be sure to try and break them in right.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NekSnapr
Thanks for the info.. I've heard about breaking gears and new rear ends in before, but when I asked an old schooler, he said out off all the racecars and things he's had, that he never heard of it or did it and he hasn't had any whine. If I do anyswapping in, I'll be sure to try and break them in right.
My oldschooler installer said the same. I'm at about 150miles and 7 heat cycles. I'm getting impatient. He even said that changing the oil wasn't that big of a deal because there is a magnet that catches the shavings. Furthermore, I didn't change my stock oil in over 77000 miles, launched on street tires with 400rwhp everyday, and never had a problem.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RealLiveMD
My oldschooler installer said the same. I'm at about 150miles and 7 heat cycles. I'm getting impatient. He even said that changing the oil wasn't that big of a deal because there is a magnet that catches the shavings. Furthermore, I didn't change my stock oil in over 77000 miles, launched on street tires with 400rwhp everyday, and never had a problem.

Again, its about the set up. Some people complain that their new 12 bolts come from the moser or strange quiet and after hard launches they whine. Thats because the shock of a launch upsets the preload on the pinion bearings not because of the gears themselves.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

I'm laughing right now.. All the kiddies on here that have never owned a new car. So your going to buy a 2010 Camaro and pound on it right after you leave the dealer..Your a dumb SOB.. Just about anything mechanical has to be broken in..Its common sense. Jeff from Jaw Gears is right.. Stuff needs to get worn in and seat. If you beat on it and it doesn't break your lucky..Or its someone else's problem down the road. I've been driving my TA nice since the gear change..There are street guys and track guys..The track guys are going to tell you to punch it,the street guys are going to be more careful..I don't have the time and money to keep replacing gears.Its all personally preference.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad

Jakes Dad
Wow...a car salesman that actually cares...that's a first. Everyone of them I have delt with in test driving cars tells me to romp on it to see what it's got..lol
Old 05-20-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irocem99
I'm laughing right now.. All the kiddies on here that have never owned a new car. So your going to buy a 2010 Camaro and pound on it right after you leave the dealer..Your a dumb SOB.. Just about anything mechanical has to be broken in..Its common sense. Jeff from Jaw Gears is right.. Stuff needs to get worn in and seat. If you beat on it and it doesn't break your lucky..Or its someone else's problem down the road. I've been driving my TA nice since the gear change..There are street guys and track guys..The track guys are going to tell you to punch it,the street guys are going to be more careful..I don't have the time and money to keep replacing gears.Its all personally preference.
When an engine builder builds a $75,000 engine you would have to think they would be very careful with that investment correct? How much break in do you think they give the engine before its straped to the dyno....?

NONE

Once its up to operating temprature you make 8,000 RPM pulls.
Parts will seat themselves, just change the oil after.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by alamantia
When an engine builder builds a $75,000 engine you would have to think they would be very careful with that investment correct? How much break in do you think they give the engine before its straped to the dyno....?

NONE

Once its up to operating temprature you make 8,000 RPM pulls.
Parts will seat themselves, just change the oil after.
Yea but thats to seat the rings... Probably a little different than a rear end with a pinion and ring bearing seeing how they push against each other instead of like the rings where they just seat around the piston and push against a cylinder wall.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just figured out why gears don't get broken in. I'm on my way home and some old guy in a vette jumps out of parking lot screeching tires taunting me. This would never happen on any other day. I had to let him go since I decided to try to do at least one tank of gas which is about 13 heat cycles and 300 miles for me. I just picked this logic out of my *** and went with it. Thanks for all the input though..
Old 05-20-2008, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by phoenixfoundmac
Manufacturers recommend a 500 mile break in for new cars.
Strange recommends a 1000 mile breakin period. Then change the fluid.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alamantia
Again, its about the set up. Some people complain that their new 12 bolts come from the moser or strange quiet and after hard launches they whine. Thats because the shock of a launch upsets the preload on the pinion bearings not because of the gears themselves.
Well, I think that you know what you're talking about. I waited 500 miles and as soon as I launched from second gear at thirty. The wine began. I'm pissed.
From quiet to eeeennnnnnn!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NekSnapr
Think a real race car would be quite enough to hear a little gear whine?
Old 01-11-2009, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 01-15-2009, 04:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Always break in new gears, expecially if they are aftermarket. The aftermarket have a thicker fosfate coating on them since they might sit on the shelf for a longer period of time. OEM gears go right into an axle housing. They are lightly coated and yes the OEM uses a synthetic blend but also keep this in mind. Every axle is test ran before it goes into a vehicle. I'm not 100% sure how much run time are on them but at AAM I have seen NVH tested axle run for 15-30 minutes. After the OEM recieves them the vehicle is test driven on rollers so before the odometer is actually hooked up the motor has been ran, the transmissions has gone thru it's testing, the axle has been test ran and then they are parked or loaded into a train or car transport. If you have taken delivery of a new vehicle it does not have 0 miles on it, they always have 3-14 miles that I have seen. The OEM wouldn't let a noisy motor, trans, or axle out the door believe me.

As for the "drive it like you stole it" guys, good luck and we'll be seeing you returning soon.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by chvycmaroz28
its similar to breaking in a motor so the valves can seat
Yeah, its EXACTLY like that except the rear end has no valves.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:54 AM

are you supposed to change the rear gear fluid after 500 miles? If so why?
Old 01-16-2009, 03:13 AM
11 Second Club

I'm glad someone brought this one back, cause I'm gonna change gears in the spring and never thought about changing the fluid after a while. So which is it? I've read to change fluid after 500 and 1000 miles in this thread.

Quick Reply: Why break in new gears?