Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

pattern changes after driving.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pattern changes after driving.

As some of you have been following, I switched to a 3.90 gear which was quiet and the pattern changed after a WOT run. Tried another, it whined on the coast side, switched to 4:10 and the pattern changed again just like the first 3.90. When the guy install the gear, he illustrates good contact. After driving the car around the block the pattern is clearly on catching the lip of the ring teeth. WHAT IS HE DOING WRONG? We're trying another 4:10 tomorrow but this one is going to be a GM original instead of Motive high performance.

Last edited by RealLiveMD; 06-13-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only thing i can think of is that if the pinion bearing isnt fully pressed on the shim when installed enough force exerted by the engine could actualy press the pinion bearing the rest of the way down. then you would get a whine on decel and th epinion nut would not have the proper preload on it. I would think not having the pinion bearing pressed all the way down would cause this, thats just my $0.02 but what do i know