Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear Stud length? with 15x10 Draglites!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 05:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear Stud length? with 15x10 Draglites!

I just grinded my calipers. My stock studs are to short when trying to bolt my 15x10 on. What stud lengths did everyone use. Or did you buy longer lug nuts, I have bought ? Please help I`m having problems with everything. I still want to use my ZR-1 replicas when I`m not racing. Please tell me what size and everything you did. Thanks! I have5/16 spacers also on front and back!
Old 04-12-2003, 05:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Rear Stud length? with 15x10 Draglites!

You have two different things you can do, both of which involve pulling your axels. So here goes...
ARP 12mm 1.5 knurl extended studs. Excellent stud for strength, and ARP is known for quality. Then go with the Weld open ended lugs. Now here is the problem with these: They work fine, and are very safe for a Weld wheel, however with slicks, alot of track will check to see if your stud is sticking out past the end of the lug by about 1/2" or so. The ARP will not clear the open end lug. So you could get bounced at the track.
So you have option #2.
Run a 3" inch 1/2" stud from Moroso, or any other company that has high tensile strength studs. You will have to take your axles to a good speed shop, and have the holes drilled out so the bigger stud will fit. Then have them pressed in. Remember that you will need 10 new SST open end lugs (1/2 inch) as your old 12mm lugs will not work anymore on the back.

I highly recommend that you DO NOT run around to much on the stock studs with Weld wheels. Especially if your using racing slicks, or street slicks. They will break. They also dont seem to take to Weld lugs very well and strip easy.

Thats my .02 cents on the subject. Sure a few may disagree with my ARP option as far as being legal. But at the local track they do check, and they will toss ya. Been there done that.
Old 04-12-2003, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Rear Stud length? with 15x10 Draglites!

You don't need to pull the axles at all. Just remove the ABS sensor (one 10mm bolt) from the backing plate, and you can slide the studs in thru there. The ARP studs (2.5") are a perfect fit. You can still use your lug caps with them.