Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

my LSD acting funny

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my LSD acting funny

I think my LSD is gave up sometimes when I floor it it burns two wheels and when I turn and floor it it still burns two wheels but this week it act funny sometimes it burns right wheel and sometimes left and rarely burn two wheels my car is 1992 Z28 with 3.23 LSD factory options and its time to change to aftermarket LSD what do you suggest? is my 7.5" 26 spline or 28 spline? I found two limited slip from Auburn Gear one called High performance series and the other is Pro series which one do you suggest to go with?
Old 07-09-2008, 03:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

The differentials is just wearing out. Considering is 16-17 years old, and isn't a very tight LSD at all, even when new that's not a surprise.

You have 28 spline axles.

The Auburn High Performance is the stock LSD in the car, it's what you have already yours is just worn out. The Pro Series diff is a tighter unit. There is also a Racer's series (all I'll use in fact) that has even heavier springs and does a better job keeping the two wheels more matched in wheel speed. The Racers is not a locker, it's simply a tighter more heavily sprung version of the other two. As the cones (which is what Auburn uses as clutches) wear, the heavier springs keep better pressure on the cones and that makes the diff work better and last longer.

I sell the Racer's for $469. I use on in my car which is street driven and autoxed on some really big sticky tires (which tend to tear up LSD's), and I'm very happy with it. The only downside... because it's tight, it can chatter a bit in tight corners. If you are at all concerned about the noise--the Pro would be a better choice.

There are other differentials too. Eaton, Truetrac, Torsen, etc.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-09-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You got some good info's there thanks alot Sam,which one do you suggest for my Z28? in future I will put some stuff like over pistons,cam,vortec ported heads,,etc I think the Pro is enough right?
Old 07-10-2008, 11:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Honestly, I'd recommend the Auburn Racer's. It'd be hard not to since it what I now run in my car. Now, I do a lot of cornering... but the fact is a weaker diff is also weaker in a straight line as you can see by the fact yours at times won't even spin both tires when equally loaded (or as close as you're going to get). http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=43&ModelID=9

A Pro Series is basically the same price (it's about $10 cheaper) as a Racer's. That makes it a no brainer to me..... And FWIW, Auburn has a program for exchange. You have up to 4 years to send yours in with a few bucks (around $125 or so last I checked) and they'll send you a brand new one to replace it. You can do it for wear, breakage, or just because you want to.

The only other I'd consider is a Truetrac: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=43&ModelID=9 They are a bit less money. They take a little more power to drive (all helical diffs do as they have a lot of gears), make a little more heat too. But if the metallurgy is good (something certain Torsens have had issues with lately), the don't wear much. But they are never as "tight" as the Racer's either, and not nearly as simple. Also they have a 1 year warranty. After that you are on your own vs. the 4 year D-Rex coverage Auburn has.

I think either are good choices and better than others at this time.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-10-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

I used to act funny on LSD also.