Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Just ordered a 9".....

Old 07-29-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just ordered a 9".....

I placed my order today with a local speedshop that worked out a pretty good deal on a LOADED 9" for me. Will take a couple weeks to get here but here is what I got:

1)Moser 9" and 31 spline axle package with LCA relocators.
2)Strange Pro Nodular iron case with HD pinion support(not the std), chromemoly yoke, True Trac and Motive (Hi Perf, not the standard) 3.70 gears, 1/2" studs
3) Strange chromemoly 3.5" drive shaft w/ 1350s u-joints and chromemoly front slip yoke.

I got the entire package shipped for $2950. They are even gonna install it, setup the pinion angle and align it for another $250 since I bought it from them. Not bad at all.

I went with the Strange 3rd member setup because of all the stories of gear whine from Moser. These guys told me if it whines, bring it back and they will send it back to Strange and work the repair on their end. Pretty good service it seems, plus they are local so if I have problems, I can take it there and let them listen to it etc.

Once I break it in, I should be able to get my old hooptie to the track and see what it really does on some real tires.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Last night I pulled my driveshaft out to get some measurements of everything and noticed I had some looseness in the driveshaft. Once I got the shaft out, I grabbed the rear yoke on the pinion and I could literally wobble it around in any direction and had at least 1/8" of play in the pinion. The nut is still tight, I can see the pinion itself moving. I can even move it in out about 1/4". This is only with about 8k miles on the 4.10 gear install on a 27k mile rear end. I guess this finally explains the rumbling noise I have been getting for a while.

That was my A+ G-Force gear install and setup that they didn't even use a dial indicator on.....
Old 08-11-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

still waiting.....
Old 08-11-2008, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can assure you that Moser has the housing/axle package ready... It took 3 days to get mine. The hold up is most likely the Stange 3rd member(which was definately the way to go, IMO). Good luck
Old 08-11-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I realized something I forgot.....I didn't order the housing with a drain plug.... So how the fu*k do you drain the gear oil without having to pull the chunk back out? I wonder if I can use one of those oil pumps with the hose and pump the old oil out with it? You would think there would be some way to drain it without it being an "option".

Search this Thread