Gen 5 Camaro Drivetrain Tech Clutch, torque converter, rear end, axles

V6 different from a v8?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V6 different from a v8?

So, im considering picking up a high mileage 2012 v6 camaro i stumbled upon

its a v6 lt package. manual transmission.. real basic.

I was thinking of dropping an iron 6.0 with ls3 top end and eventually making a "zl1" clone of it.

are the rear end cradles the same? i assume gearing is different but id be putting like 3.73s is it any how.
also i assume the clutch would need to be beefier.. but would the transmissions be the same in a v6 compared to a v8?

also did any changes occur from 2010-2013?

i tried a search but google and wiki arent being helpful
Old 04-17-2014, 09:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The rear cradles are physically the same on the V6 and V8 2010+ Camaros. There were definitely some other small changes made through the model years though so you may want to take that into consideration when trying to figure out what year will work best for you. The 2012 and newer V8 cars use a better, more efficient sway bar design (FE4) than the V6 cars and the earlier V8 cars. Also GM changed the factory rear cradle bushing design in the 2012 and newer Camaros. The 2010-2011 Camaros came with factory rear cradle bushing that had voids in them and in the 2012 to current Camaros GM upgraded the bushing to a full rubber rear cradle bushing without any voids so they are able to control the rear cradle movement better. Now with that said if you plan on making any kind of power you will more than likely be changing out to better aftermarket rear cradle bushings anyways so I wouldn't really let that sway your decision at all.

If you have any other questions on the suspension or chassis of these cars I would be more than happy to answer them for you.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 04-17-2014, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
The rear cradles are physically the same on the V6 and V8 2010+ Camaros. There were definitely some other small changes made through the model years though so you may want to take that into consideration when trying to figure out what year will work best for you. The 2012 and newer V8 cars use a better, more efficient sway bar design (FE4) than the V6 cars and the earlier V8 cars. Also GM changed the factory rear cradle bushing design in the 2012 and newer Camaros. The 2010-2011 Camaros came with factory rear cradle bushing that had voids in them and in the 2012 to current Camaros GM upgraded the bushing to a full rubber rear cradle bushing without any voids so they are able to control the rear cradle movement better. Now with that said if you plan on making any kind of power you will more than likely be changing out to better aftermarket rear cradle bushings anyways so I wouldn't really let that sway your decision at all.

If you have any other questions on the suspension or chassis of these cars I would be more than happy to answer them for you.
thats a good point.
I am aiming for 600rwhp so im not sure how the stock rear cradle would go under that abuse (even on street tires) i still have a lot of researching to do,

as for the front engine cradle, is that the same? could i simply remove the v6 and drop the v8 in there.
do i need v8 motor mounts?
are the v6 and v8 manual transmissions the same?
Old 07-06-2014, 01:23 AM
Teching In

I would also like to know if anyone has done this as I have been thinking about it too, does anyone make a aftermarket k member so a guy could bolt in a different motor?
Old 07-27-2014, 04:41 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadedbird
are the v6 and v8 manual transmissions the same?
In case you never figured this out, the V6 M6 is an Aisin AY6 and the V8 M6 is a Tremec TR-6060. The Aisin trans is only rated at 345 ft/lbs.

Sorry I'm no help on the rest.

Quick Reply: V6 different from a v8?