Gen 5 Camaro Drivetrain Tech Clutch, torque converter, rear end, axles

‘15 ss m6 trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ‘15 ss m6 trans problem

My girlfriend has a ‘15 ss manual. The other day she was on her way to work and she said the car kind of jerked and the engine died. She pushed in the clutch and started it back and immediately pulled over. When I get there I got in it and fired it up, put it in first and tried to take off, didn’t want to move, felt like the parking brake was on. Jacked the rear end up and put it on jack stands, fire it up, put in first gear, let off clutch, and the wheels spun but it made a pretty horrible racket from the transmission area. So I unhooked the driveshaft and winched it up on the trailer. This seemed to free up movement so it would seem the problem is in the transmission. I thought I was going to get off easy because she purchased a warranty when she bought the car, but turns out it was only For the first year and ran out last month. So within the next couple of days I’ll be hauling it to my house and starting to do some further troubleshooting. Was hoping I could be given some ideas on things to look for or if these symptoms sound familiar to anyone. Plan on draining trans fluid first to see if there is metal in it. I’ve never really messed with any of the 5th gen cars but after changing the engine oil I remember that the trans bolts didn’t look fun to get to.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 596 Likes on 473 Posts

These cars have a 2 piece drive shaft, make sure the center bearing didn't fail for some reason. Other than that, there could have been a failure internally. My T-56 lunched the input shaft gear and it sounded like someone dropped some ball bearings in a blender.
The following users liked this post:
blk99sleekbeak (03-30-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 11:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just thought I’d update this incase it could help anyone. The problem wound up being that the pinion bearing went out due to being starved for oil because of a leaking axle seal

Quick Reply: ‘15 ss m6 trans problem