Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vararam Intake question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vararam Intake question

I found a used one on another site and I believe its an older generation.

http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/at...1&d=1297611336

my main question is how do i know if its a tune or no tune version? The seller told me it was included with the car when he bought it and doesnt know, i really want it but dont want to have to spend another 275 on a handheld if I dont have 2.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Sheesh lot of views no one knows?
Old 02-18-2011, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

I'm not sure what revisions Vararam made, but the early models (both tune & no-tune) had serious problems with drive-ability. You may want to get a number or something off of it and contact Vararam. There are also a lot of Vararam followers on Camaro5, and you may get more info there.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Was this ever answered?

Just got mine today and am curious.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:54 AM
On The Tree

I never looked into it further, mods have been to expensive for me lol
Old 07-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99CamVanillaTop
I never looked into it further, mods have been to expensive for me lol
Thats the truth
Old 07-25-2011, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

I have one and liken the throttle response and torque improvement the same as adding a mail order tune. I like it alot and even better there was a molding blemish on the plastic and vararam sent me a complete new unit along with a call tag to send the old one back no questions asked. That is unheard of today.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Well I got the tune-required model and after tuning it using HP Tuners, the resulting MAF curve (low-to-mid) was fairly close to stock...like really close..far closer to stock than the AEM in-fender intake I had been using. I just figured it would require a bit more work to tune than than the AEM and at least flow a bit more, not less.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:46 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ducatisl
Well I got the tune-required model and after tuning it using HP Tuners, the resulting MAF curve (low-to-mid) was fairly close to stock...like really close..far closer to stock than the AEM in-fender intake I had been using. I just figured it would require a bit more work to tune than than the AEM and at least flow a bit more, not less.
You can't always go off the maf readings as a measure of flow. Turbulance can skew the MAF readings from intake to intake, but not mean one is flowing more than the other.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rhino79
You can't always go off the maf readings as a measure of flow. Turbulance can skew the MAF readings from intake to intake, but not mean one is flowing more than the other.
True, but the E38 reports Hz versus corrected flow in lb/min, which leads me to believe the AEM flows slightly better. I do like being able to get to the Vararam easily, the AEM was a pain (with suppled filter easy, but I used a larger AFe filter with a generous 6" bellmouth and flow straightener) although at any forward velocity, the AEM had IAT's that were ambient, not 10'ish degrees higher. Plus it seems that if I went with a nitrous plate setup, I might not have the fore-aft clearance with the Vararam.

Ultimately, I'll probably sell both and get a Rotofab or similar since it seems there are some functional ram/cold air hoods that mate up to it well.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ducatisl
True, but the E38 reports Hz versus corrected flow in lb/min, which leads me to believe the AEM flows slightly better. I do like being able to get to the Vararam easily, the AEM was a pain (with suppled filter easy, but I used a larger AFe filter with a generous 6" bellmouth and flow straightener) although at any forward velocity, the AEM had IAT's that were ambient, not 10'ish degrees higher. Plus it seems that if I went with a nitrous plate setup, I might not have the fore-aft clearance with the Vararam.

Ultimately, I'll probably sell both and get a Rotofab or similar since it seems there are some functional ram/cold air hoods that mate up to it well.
When installing the Vararam you did check you MAF to verify it wasn't a weak one correct. A lot of people have found themselves with the "weak" MAFs and find the Vararam doing little good.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

I did, was a strong "K21" coded MAF.

Quick Reply: Vararam Intake question