Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

5th gen Roller???

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 04:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5th gen Roller???

I think that gm should offer the 5th gen as a roller from the factory to allow people to install their own motor and trannys maybe even a solid rear.. they would sell at least a few more like this but it would certainly save me alot of time... i dont want their warranty anyways so.. yea. I wonder what the chances of something like this being able to happen are. and maybe not for everyone mostly just me. i wont tell anyone if gm doesnt want me to. but seriously.. they need to offer a roller. They are already saying that theres gonna be a kit for the ls7 so why should you have to buy they whole rs or ss or whatever only to take the motor out and replace it with one that costs half as much as the original car...
Old 12-18-2008, 07:19 AM
TECH Resident

Even if GM did offer a roller it wouldn't be much cheaper than with an engine and tranny because you would still be buying a new car. You could just buy the car, pull the motor and tranny, and sell them to get some of the money back from buying the car.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they wouldnt do that. they wouldnt sell very many at all and it would be a special order kinda thing
Old 12-18-2008, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by z28hustle
I think that gm should offer the 5th gen as a roller from the factory to allow people to install their own motor and trannys maybe even a solid rear.. they would sell at least a few more like this but it would certainly save me alot of time... i dont want their warranty anyways so.. yea. I wonder what the chances of something like this being able to happen are. and maybe not for everyone mostly just me. i wont tell anyone if gm doesnt want me to. but seriously.. they need to offer a roller. They are already saying that theres gonna be a kit for the ls7 so why should you have to buy they whole rs or ss or whatever only to take the motor out and replace it with one that costs half as much as the original car...
did i miss something? is there REAL proof of this, or did you jsut hear it from someone who knows someone?

but if you get the whole car, ill take the motor!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I really don't ever see GM doing a thing like that. Your best bet is when you buy the car pull the motor & tranny out and sell it to a hot rodder. The guys that put these engines in street rods always want to have the latest stuff for their car. Maybe it's just an LS3 but I'm sure there would be a demand for it.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Teching In

What about this, $7000 just have to add suspension and interior though. About as close as you can get to a roller from the factory
http://blogs.popularhotrodding.com/6...rts/index.html
Old 12-18-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

read that a bit better.

"Bodies WILL NOT HAVE A VIN NUMBER THEY CAN NEVER BE FOR STREET USE."
Old 12-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Launching!

legally.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shouldn't be any different than building a kit car and people somehow register and drive those. I don't know how that works exactly, but it is possible to do such a thing legally.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Different states have different laws/rules for this. Some staes require the car you built be current to all new car federal safety standards. the states that don't will let you title the car as what it is ie: cobra jet kit car built today but titled as 1966 cobra jet (LSX POWERED!!). There is no real safety standards in 1966 so car is titled there and then sold/transfered to states that won't do this. Now if you try to do this with a 2010 Camaro It very well could have to pass all EPA and federal standards before you could title it. However it looks like a 1969 Camaro so maybe try to title it as a 1969 Camaro. Dodge is doing this with the Challenger selling stripped down race cars for super stock type of thing that was done in the past only as stated in an above post no vin race use only.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/2010-cama...hite-body.html
Old 12-25-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

GMPP is offering the body in white, but I don't know how you could title it legally. It's cool that they are offering it though.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WSsick
did i miss something? is there REAL proof of this, or did you jsut hear it from someone who knows someone?
Jamie Meyer posted it himself a while back.

As for the BIW, I see the model showing bumper covers but they are not listed as included anywhere in anything in print that I have seen or read. Starting w/ a BIW is a LONG way to go, trust me. When they say Body in white, they mean NOTHING else but the BARE body. By the time you get all of the small parts individually ... well, lets just say, if you're looking to make it a driver, it may be cheaper in the long run to buy a complete car not to mention the labor you will have invested. Time is money to most of us.
If your intent is to build a tube chassis race car or something along those lines ... then hell yah, this is the way to go for sure.

Quick Reply: 5th gen Roller???