Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Only a 13 second car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 04:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco

To me the new Camaro represents something different from almost anything else out there... available for right around $30,000, with a V8 with relatively good handling, and runs low-mid 13-second 1/4 times. That leaves the Mustang GT and Camaro SS. Meanwhile if you want a V6 RWD sports car, there's a bunch to choose from; BMW, Hyundai, Nissan/Infiniti and you could even say Chevy offers their own (Camaro V6) but the point is a V8 powered sports car is rare for under $35,000.

Comparing a new car vs used based on price alone is unfair.... you can get a years-old used car for much less than it was new, but on a new car there's relatively little room to go down in price.

Plus we're arguing over a few MPG difference in fuel economy? Is this LS1tech or Priustech?
The best part is that 13 second time was done by a magazine that did no better than a 13.5 in a 4th gen, but here we are assuming the 5th gen is slower. I'll bet 100 that GMHT or M&FF pulls sub 13 times.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eric1987
Besides the MPG I agree
???

Larger engine, more HP and IRS equals, lower fuel economy...noobs
Old 05-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Staging Lane

Your post didnt make sense. I hope you're not saying I'm a newb because the ONLY thing I dont think is better is the MPG. Which is true.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your on crack choco...

the new mustang and the new camaro are 1k away from each other in price... in base v8 form... most tests done the mustangs cost more...

as far as the 4th and 5th gens being equal...

omg are you guys on crack!?!?!

not only are you getting a far more superior made car... you get better handling, brakes, power, etc etc etc....

look at trap speeds.. that alone shows what they are capable of...
the "magazine" times they are producing is 1/10th away from what the FASTEST ls1s ran...
seriously think about that for a sec...

on average the 5th gens are (right now) half a second quicker than the 4th gens... in 6 months they will be on average to a second faster... if thats not worth the money, i dont know what is.. not to mention how well it takes to mods...

like everyone has been saying, we now have the 3rd gens/lt1s.... everyone is buying them.. ragging them out, ricing them out... etc etc etc...
its time to drop them amazing platform and move onto something else..

go buy a stroker/ls3/etc... THEN come dog the 5th gens power, but some of you boys that have stock/stockish cars wont be talking **** on them the first time you line up and see tail lights from a car who weighs 600lbs more than you and in your eyes is a "POS"
and to top that.. it will still out corner you, out brake you, have a better ride more options, etc etc etc...
Old 05-15-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

one more thing to add... have you seen the weight savings when ALL you change is a the exhaust setup... its crazy...

ALSO! keep this in mind.. people were saying the SAME exact things about the 4th gens when they came out.. they were talking how heavy they are... now they are considered lite..
the 5th gens are right on par as far as weight goes.. and in 10 years will probably be considered lite if not equal..
BUT! it is a few steps/years ahead as terms of speed... just like the 4th gen WAS!
Old 05-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Why does everyone get so bent out of shape over this? The times the magazines get probably do reflect what the average driver would get out of it under average conditions. With awesome track prep, the best driver in the world, and a retardedly low DA, you'll see some really good times out of them.

I had read all the internet stories about how the 4th gen could run low 13s/upper 12s all day long. I could have sworn I would run something similar in my car when I first went to the track, but was disappointed. I took my car to no better than a 13.4x @ 106.xx, and most of my other runs were in the upper 13s @ 105-ish. I sat there and watched other stock-ish LS1s run similar times to mine, if not worse. It was in the upper 80s that day, and the humidity sucked. So did track prep. You know...kinda like the conditions can be when magazines do these tests, and my times certainly reflected what the magazine articles suggested I'd run.

I still fully believe that a 5th gen will hand a similarly modded 4th gen a loss, even given the extra weight. It has a better powerplant on its side, and the aftermarket will come around soon, I'm sure.
Yeah, my 02 with air lid and cat back ran a 12.9 on street tires in 90 degree weather. HP to HP for 4th gen to 5th gen is much greater so people automaticly relate it to a 4th gen at the same HP. This car might say Camaro but its still a totally different car but with the newer engine and heavier. Lets give it some time....change is hard.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:06 PM
12 Second Club

Choco-- if the camaro and all other cars but the vette is so boring to you why dont you just stay away from this forum?
Old 05-21-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

I took my bone stock, temporary tagged, 63mi on the odometer 2001 LS1 Firebird Formula, to Houston Raceway Park and put down a 13.00 1/4 mile e.t. I hadn't joined this forum yet and I was actually hoping for high 12's, then I joined this forum and was put in my place rather quickly. 13.00 for a 2001 LS1 was VERY rare. 98,000 miles later, she would probably do a 13.01, HA!
Old 05-21-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

Oh yeah, have you guys seen the gauge cluster??? Phenomenal! Has C6 Vette written all over it, as far as action,precision and illumination, not layout.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

lot of things to factor in with ET times. Just look at the MPH the cars are trapping. 109-110 in the 5th gen is in the range of a full bolt on 4th gen car. ETs are always going to be different per driver / suspension setup / tires .... kinda hard to measure up one car vs another this was IMO
Old 05-22-2009, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

2010 Challenger SRT8 vs 2010 Camaro SS; More 13's.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...ple-grove.html
Old 05-23-2009, 01:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

In the new Hot Rod they ran a 12.95@112.93 in a new SS. 113 trap speed!?! I can't wait until someone like Evan Smith(MM&FF) gets behind the wheel of this thing.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Casper9T9
This thread is hilarious. To summarize: All 4th gen LS1s run 12s bone stock. The 5th gen runs 13.1s, so it sucks. The 5th gen is heavy, so it sucks. The 5th gen costs over $30K, so it sucks. The quarter mile is the only measure of performance, and the 5th gen is heavy...and doesn't run 12s...like all 4th gens, therefore it sucks.
The problem is it's had 8 years of research and has 100 horsepower more and isn't any faster. THAT is the problem. With 100 extra horsepower, 4th gens are in the 11's. That's pretty sad that all the extra money, time and massive horsepower increase doesn't provide anymore performance. THAT is the problem people have because this is a performance car first, and that's where it fails the hardest.
Originally Posted by TT632
My main complaint is also with the weight and the size. A good percentage of the weight can be put square on the shoulders of the Government and the Insurance companies.
I disagree with this. The Mustang is no heavier than 4th gen F-body's and it's sporting a heavy OHC motor. Pushrod motors are much smaller and lighter, so if Ford can do it, why can't GM? GM didn't do it because weight and size wasn't a high enough priority.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

The weight is so much because they used that pre-existing Zeta platform and it's lined with 10101028291821 pounds of lead in the frame rails or something lol.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't even comprehend how people can say the 5th gen isn't any faster. It's trapping 5-6 mph higher than the 4th gens and is a solid 1/2 sec quicker than what most mags tested the 4th gen at. Please prove me wrong and find a mag that trapped 113 in a stock 4th gen...not going to happen.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
The problem is it's had 8 years of research and has 100 horsepower more and isn't any faster. THAT is the problem. With 100 extra horsepower, 4th gens are in the 11's. That's pretty sad that all the extra money, time and massive horsepower increase doesn't provide anymore performance. THAT is the problem people have because this is a performance car first, and that's where it fails the hardest.

I disagree with this. The Mustang is no heavier than 4th gen F-body's and it's sporting a heavy OHC motor. Pushrod motors are much smaller and lighter, so if Ford can do it, why can't GM? GM didn't do it because weight and size wasn't a high enough priority.
you really are ignorant... well i guess not ignorant because you know... so i guess just stupid...

they werent doing research in the 8 years they werent making the camaro...

with 100 extra horsepower and 700 lbs less the 4th gens are in the 11s.. you have to remember most people that are in the 11s arent full weight..

this car has mid 12s all over it with its trap speed... EASY, im talking 12.4s-12.5s.. and thats them weight 500lbs more than a 4th gen... they are LEAPS AND BOUNDS faster stock for stock.. what your saying is about even to saying the fourth gen is on a c5Zo6s ***... because the 5th gens are... zo6s on average only do around 116-117ish... a lot are faster.. but truly bone stock thats about average... an average stock fbody does a measly 104-106mph on the high... and you think thats close?

extra money? they are about dead even price wise with 4th gens.. most tests i have seen they are cheaper than what a 4th gen would have cost you.. but look at what your getting with a 5th gen over a 4th gen..
time? again, they didnt spend 8 years trying to figure the new camaro out..

and you go back to no more performance.. half a second faster with magazine times.. 6-7 mph faster trap speeds... this car will be 8/10s faster stock for stock on average than an fbody, and trap 6-7mph faster on average... keep in mind this is in a MUCH nicer car, a MUCH newer car, a MUCH heavier car... and you not impressed?

fails the hardest in performance.. !!!!!
again.. this thing weighs 3800lbs... a zo6 weighs 3200lbs.... the camaro is only behind a few mph..

you a joke dude.. that, or your making a joke.. i cant tell..

EDIT:::: just for ***** and giggles... are stock/stockish by chance?
Old 05-24-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...re-inside.html

if this is what your mods still are.. i see now why your a bit heated by the new camaro...

just a stall and it will be dead even with you, if not beating you... and if your full weight, its doing it with 500 extra lbs or so.. if you have weight reduction, its doing it with that much more...

that car is impressive man... why cant you admit it?
Old 05-24-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seans Ws6
Yeah, my 02 with air lid and cat back ran a 12.9 on street tires in 90 degree weather. HP to HP for 4th gen to 5th gen is much greater so people automaticly relate it to a 4th gen at the same HP. This car might say Camaro but its still a totally different car but with the newer engine and heavier. Lets give it some time....change is hard.
Yeah see the post by the guy with only a cai and tune that pulled the 12.5 on street tires. Equal or less mods than you did with your 4th gen and 4 tenths faster even though it's almost 500 pounds heavier. If you dropped the 500 lbs this would almost be an 11 second car stock, under 40k. Yup the car sucks.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kain01
Yeah see the post by the guy with only a cai and tune that pulled the 12.5 on street tires. Equal or less mods than you did with your 4th gen and 4 tenths faster even though it's almost 500 pounds heavier. If you dropped the 500 lbs this would almost be an 11 second car stock, under 40k. Yup the car sucks.
In all the times there comparing on the old ls1's are there best run's in cold weather..if it were winter time and i only had my car for a week or so no miles still not broken in..i would have ran a low 12 second pass...dont get me wrong ls1's are great engine's my 02 ss M6 RAN BONE STOCK 12.80'S winter time but it didnt compare in so many ways. I think the new camaro's are baddass but they are heavy..but they drive and feel great..I am very happy with it...if your looking for just speed get a vette..there baddass...I think someone shouldnt judge the camaro untill they own one..yes you will see some slow time's from bad driver's same with the ls1's...seen 14 second passes with firehawks ws6's and ss back in 02..i used to think it was funny but it happens and it will with the 5th gen and make the car look bad..my car will be running in the 11's with just bolt ons..that is beautiful for a 4k + with me in it.I will post that pass when LMR install's the exhaust and header's and a better tune.the tunning has a lot to be worked with still early......ohhh and some drag radial's maybe a pulley...after that then a cam then winter come's and some of you guy's will stop talking smack about the 5th gen camaro....
Old 05-24-2009, 11:12 PM
10 Second Club

Guys I think the performance of cars has come to some what of a stand still now days. I mean lets face it every 5-7 years they can not shave off 1sec from a 1/4mile time like they did with the 3rd gens to 4th gens.

In a day that we are lucky at best to have a new Camaro show up from a company that is going out of business is awesome. This is exactly what i was expecting from the 5th gen. It is faster but not by much. But then again look at it then remember holy **** we are in a recession,gas prices are super high, the world is coming to an end and GM managed to push out a freakin new Camaro. Thats awesome.

Quick Reply: Only a 13 second car?