Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

PHR mag. 20 things you don't know about 2010 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
Impala cruisers are every where
Ford took over the market with Police cruisers, Up untill the Chrysler Charger and now with Chryslers chapter 11 most depts said no to any chryslers and went back to the ford. I very seldom see a fwd cruiser, I am not sure why most didnt swapout as the fwd cars generally get better fuel economy.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I am really amazed to see how many people feel it's ok for the goverment to make all these decisions for us. I'm not a fan of the bailouts but I don't think it's ok to let the car companies fail. But in no way do I think the government has any business telling them how to run their business (within reason). How many politicians have every run a significant business?

It's funny, everyone thinks they know how to run a car company. How successful is the average guy in their life, finances, etc. It's easy to be so critical. If everyone was so smart everyone would be rich. You see it in the workplace all the time. Probably 90% of the work force think their bosses suck and spend much of their time complaining about it.

It's not talked about too much but the government pressured the banks to lend to people with subpair credit in order to have more of the so called "under privileged" own homes (through freddy mack and fanny Mae). Seems like the government is not taking any of the blame. I'm not saying the banks are completely innocent. It seems like the investment brokers were a lot more reckless.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Teching In

$31.75 to put a car together, I didn't get that much as a mechanic fixing their screw-ups. There are many problems in this, but I really wish UAW would die and go away. My rant......I just hate UAW.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Teching In

$31.75 to put a car together, I didn't get that much as a mechanic fixing their screw-ups. There are many problems in this, but I really wish UAW would die and go away. My rant......I just hate UAW.[/QUOTE]

I do blame GM management as well, but I truly wish the UAW would go away as well , I believe they have gotten their hourly wage down to an average of $26 now. They claim of major concessions they have given up but I was hoping for hourly wage cuts to the tune of about 35%. Meaning if a 25 year employee was making $30 an hour he would drop down to about $19 or so. Sorry but the company you work for is broke and sucking off hard working americans **** to survive!!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

why get an education or give a **** about anything if you could get a job that'll earn you 73 bucks an hour in wages and total compensation. especially if youre protected by the union where they encourage slack off behaviour. (now i know some union supporters are going get pissed at this but truthfully, does the union support individual employees who want to do more than the minimum and be proud of their work?!)
Old 06-03-2009, 10:52 PM

From this view it appeared that the gov needed to keep Chrysler, and then GM afloat long enough to work out a deal to cover their supporters..the UAW. They are the ONLY stakeholders who didn't get raped. Stockholders take their chances, but bondholders had $25 billion in private money and a secured position that was disallowed by a Federal judge. Why would anyone ever again invest money in any venture where the gov is meddling ? Cars, energy, healthcare will beg for money, but none will come because the gov may change the rules any time they choose.
The only money avail will be gov money.
Did you hear of the bill introduced in Congress to divide up the 60% of GM stock owned by the taxpayers among everyone who paid income taxes for 2008? Cool, but fat chance...
Old 06-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Teching In

I'll take my taxes in a 2010 2SS fully loaded (sell the rims immediately). Not too greedy, don't need a ZR1 or Z06....yet.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by davidadavila
its not obama ******* with gm, its stupid gm not being able to run business as they should, if they would of had a decent business plan we would not have this discussion, obama or the goverment did not ask to have part of GM, GM asked the goverment.they been doing the same for many years, they have the ability to succeed yet they are seduced by short term profits and not longevity, its not the first time this has happened to them they should of learned the first time around.I love chevys and American cars and im not politically inclined but when i see these threads and the first thing i hear is "oh the goverment, blah blah obama its all his fault....." the article is what it is an article a matter of someones opinion... i never saw abama or the US goverment knocking on GM door for some money, I suppose the banking problem is also Obamas fault....if they did not want the govement watching over them and making desicions over GM they should of done a better job at running a good business..now where is my midol!!!!lol
Are you aware that Obama was one of the lawyers who sued banks for not making enough subprime loans before he became a Senator?

Are you aware that the Bush administration attempted to overhaul the regulation of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac a number of times beginning in 2001, long before the housing bubble burst? They were blocked at each turn by Democrats. (you can find video of the hearings on YouTube)

Are you aware that GM, Chrysler, and Ford (as well as the TARP banks) were told they'd better take the bailout money while it's being offered or it may not be available in the future?

Are you aware that President Obama fired Rick Waggoner, the CEO of GM? He's taking active control over personnel and management of what was a privately owned company.

It is GM's fault they ran their business so far into debt. But since the bailout began, GM has not been calling the shots - the government has. They would have been far better off to go straight into bankruptcy as a public entity.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:25 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

This does not feel like much of a 2010 Camaro thread.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by Saturn5
Are you aware that Obama was one of the lawyers who sued banks for not making enough subprime loans before he became a Senator?

Are you aware that the Bush administration attempted to overhaul the regulation of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac a number of times beginning in 2001, long before the housing bubble burst? They were blocked at each turn by Democrats. (you can find video of the hearings on YouTube)

Are you aware that GM, Chrysler, and Ford (as well as the TARP banks) were told they'd better take the bailout money while it's being offered or it may not be available in the future?

Are you aware that President Obama fired Rick Waggoner, the CEO of GM? He's taking active control over personnel and management of what was a privately owned company.

It is GM's fault they ran their business so far into debt. But since the bailout began, GM has not been calling the shots - the government has. They would have been far better off to go straight into bankruptcy as a public entity.
Saturn, You nailed it. Bravo! And now with Govt. run main stream media all looks good through Obama's rose colored glasses. These car companies have been stiffled with EPA mandated rules and regulations all in the name of the biggest hoax in world history- Man Made Global Warming aka Climate Change. If this govt wanted to meddle in free enterprise they should have done something to subsidize fuel costs before gasoline hit $4.00 a gal. In the short term the price spike had more to do with GM and Chryslers demise. Toyota and Honda stopped selling hybrids the moment fuel prices plunged which is a clear indication that average Americans do not want to drive around with electric roller skates. We should not have bailed out GM when we did. Filing Chapter 11 a year ago would have gotten the monkey off their back and they could have come back stronger than ever. The only positive thing I've heard today is Bob Lutz is back as Vice Chairman. He said that the Camaro and Corvette will continue to exist.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just watched a Lutz interview last night. He said that the goverment was not telling them what to build and that gm would build cars people wanted. He also mentioned how well the camaro was doing despit the fact that they haven't begun to advertise it. After the interview with Lutz they interviewed another guy who made a point to mention he bought a camaro and loved it. This interview was on fox news last night. Gm and the union are to blame for this situation. Gm for producing some subpar vehicles compared to the competition. The union, which is entirerly to powerful, for being to greedy. There will be more problems for gm if the union is not put in check. Look at wal mart, they make sure the union stays out of their business. My buddy worked at a distribution center and said when he got hired he had to watch a " anti-union video". People I work with always talk about how the foreign auto makers aren't having any problems. Could it be that it's because the unions aren't involved with those companies? Union + Big 3 = Trouble. I know if I were to ever become president I would go after the union.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by iv_z28s
If you guys want to find a spacegoat...
lol. Space goats are cool and all, but who should we blame?
Old 07-13-2009, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Average_Joe
Try to manage a business where you have no choice in the fact that you have to pay your employees 2 or 3 times what they are worth (or more) and they have a set amount of work to do and can read a book for the rest of the shift if they finish early. The UAW should have been disbanded long ago.

I saw a show about the corvette plant and the workers were wearing their own non-matching tshirts and shorts. The same series showed the plants where some foreign high performance cars are built and the workers were all wearing matching uniforms and/or lab coats. It was embarrasing to me as an American.

If you blame this on GM you clearly don't know the whole story.
Gm should spend the bailout money on uniforms. Then they could make good cars that people would buy. Come on dude, as if what the plant workers wear affects quality and design. If GM would stop producing 8 different versions of the same damn car, and build cars that people want. If they brought back the Nova as a 2-door lightweight turbo 4 RWD car they couldnt sell enough of them
Old 07-13-2009, 01:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sheikss
I just watched a Lutz interview last night. He said that the goverment was not telling them what to build and that gm would build cars people wanted. He also mentioned how well the camaro was doing despit the fact that they haven't begun to advertise it. After the interview with Lutz they interviewed another guy who made a point to mention he bought a camaro and loved it. This interview was on fox news last night. Gm and the union are to blame for this situation. Gm for producing some subpar vehicles compared to the competition. The union, which is entirerly to powerful, for being to greedy. There will be more problems for gm if the union is not put in check. Look at wal mart, they make sure the union stays out of their business. My buddy worked at a distribution center and said when he got hired he had to watch a " anti-union video". People I work with always talk about how the foreign auto makers aren't having any problems. Could it be that it's because the unions aren't involved with those companies? Union + Big 3 = Trouble. I know if I were to ever become president I would go after the union.
and another thing... the union didnt "take control of GM" they bargain with the company back and forth on issues. if they became too powerful it is because GM let them. It is the companys fault for unsucessful bargaining
Old 07-13-2009, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

well thank obama for killing it on the reason of global warming(IE, NORMAL CLIMATE CHANGE), which was invented by the same kind of doomsday thinking people that said we were on the verge of the next ice age in the late 70's early 80's if anyone remembers that.

I must have been drunk when I voted for Obama.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

why is everybody so upset with Americans making money? its the unions fault because our middle class is making a decent wage? these types of companies are extremely top heavy. if the employees made less the fat cats at the top would pocket it via bonuses and kickback to stockholders. the rich would be getting richer and GM would still be in the same boat. everything going on with the economy is just widening the gap between upper and lower class. neighborhoods are going from owner occupied to investor owned. the rich get bailouts and bonuses and the man working in the plant takes a pay cut. im not saying it was planned, but it sure is working out.

Quick Reply: PHR mag. 20 things you don't know about 2010 Camaro