Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

solid axle conversion ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009 | 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

solid rears are great setups but they have their place just like irs does. many sra cars do great on road courses and handle turns like its no problem. I just personally like irs, but i've seen 4000lb sra cars murder evos on road courses.

so people can do what ever they want to their car... and since maybe only 1 person in this thread has a 5th gen i fail to see why it is such a big deal to all the non 5th gen owners what can be done to one.

and making 60k isnt something to brag about... at least not in the overly expensive part of the country that i live in.
Old 06-23-2009 | 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Solid axle cars had there place in the automotive world. When the Camaro was competing with just the mustang (which is why the car went on hiatus) a solid rear was acceptable. But now the the car is targeted at not only the mustang but also import sport coupes and the need is there for IRS. The 2010 Camaro is not a muscle car and can't be one to survive in this market. GM can't sell enough Camaro's to just drag racers and enthusiests to make money on the car. The best arguement is that even when the Camaro had a solid axle (crappy 10 bolt) it was the first thing to go when the car was used for drag racing. Same thing with 2010, if you want to drag race the car you have to swap the rear. Some people get so wrapped up in 4th gen vs. 5th gen that they can't see the obvious.
Old 06-23-2009 | 01:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
solid rears are great setups but they have their place just like irs does. many sra cars do great on road courses and handle turns like its no problem. I just personally like irs, but i've seen 4000lb sra cars murder evos on road courses.

so people can do what ever they want to their car... and since maybe only 1 person in this thread has a 5th gen i fail to see why it is such a big deal to all the non 5th gen owners what can be done to one.

and making 60k isnt something to brag about... at least not in the overly expensive part of the country that i live in.

Income - Median Family Income in the Past 12 Months by Family Size
http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/incom...eandstate.html

Why would I quote the income of the top tax bracket?

It makes sense to quote the average income and then compare to what the teenies who are now buying these cars make.

A rich guy isn't going to buy a new Camaro that is just retarded sooo WHY say 100K?? Why?

Average American people buy Camaros. If you have more money you get a Corvette or a better car

THINK ABOUT IT!

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Yes, because that makes a big difference on the subject. I'm so sure I'd understand things better (and see it your way) if I'd been on this site as long as you. Especially since I can't possibly learn or know anything more about cars unless I'm a longtime member of THIS site.......cause, you know.....other car sites (or realworld experience for that matter) just aren't where the true gearheads sow their oats.

But that's cool. I made my point....and you responded with a pointless comment.
Quite pointless. Sorry, didn't have my coffee yet. Hope no offense was realised. (cause im not being a jerk about it. just dont get why you would do this.) But really!
If you are into drag racing why would you get this car and try to mod it?
It is a waste of time and so is putting a 12 bolt or 9 into a new camaro.

The car wasn't intended to drag.

I guess if you wanted to have a cool new car and drag you would... thats the only reason i can think of.
Old 06-23-2009 | 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Income - Median Family Income in the Past 12 Months by Family Size
http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/incom...eandstate.html

Why would I quote the income of the top tax bracket?

It makes sense to quote the average income and then compare to what the teenies who are now buying these cars make.

A rich guy isn't going to buy a new Camaro that is just retarded sooo WHY say 100K?? Why?

Average American people buy Camaros. If you have more money you get a Corvette or a better car

THINK ABOUT IT!

Quite pointless. Sorry, didn't have my coffee yet. Hope no offense was realised. (cause im not being a jerk about it. just dont get why you would do this.) But really!
If you are into drag racing why would you get this car and try to mod it?
It is a waste of time and so is putting a 12 bolt or 9 into a new camaro.

The car wasn't intended to drag.

I guess if you wanted to have a cool new car and drag you would... thats the only reason i can think of.
well i live in jersey. 60k is nice but if thats it you really arent going to be buying a camaro either since you have other silly things to pay for such as a place to park said camaro and maybe something silly such as property taxes.

also how isnt a car intended to drag? a drag is just a performance test and no car today shouldnt be able to record its performance in a straight line, regardless if its a irs or a hybrid running on babies tears.
Old 06-23-2009 | 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, guys.......to each his own. That's all I'm saying. Does putting a SRA on a 2010 Camaro make sense to you? Maybe not. But someone else might have their own idea of what they want their 5th gen to be. I seem to recall ppl upfitting IRS units to their older pony/musclecars to do some roadcourse racing or autocross in years past. Some ppl scoffed at such an idea for a Camaro or Mustang, but it was their car and their choice. I just see no reason to bash on or jump thru flaming hoops to get someone to reconsider such a mod. There are plenty of ppl planning to put gaudy rims and bodykits on their 5th gens. Do I approve? No. But dammit, if that's what they wanna do I'm not gonna hose'em down for it. We all have to pay for and, ultimately, live with the mods we choose to do to our cars. If that mod proves somewhat unsuited for the car, then it proves to be its own form of punishment for doing it.

Live and let...
Old 06-23-2009 | 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
So, just so we understand......all older cars with live axles should either be relegated to drag duty or they should be scrapped. Yes?
YUP.
If you mean drag duty, cruising, and car shows.
Old 06-23-2009 | 04:34 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 427C5
Vipers are running7's with IRS rears.
Ford kept the live axle because it is cheaper for them to produce.

Solid Axels ONLY make sense in 2 cases:
You want a cheap drag car.
-or-
You want a bulletproofdrag car.

If you want cheap drag car, you're going to go with a used F-body or Fox body.
If you are going to do a purpose built drag car and you want it to be bulletproof, you're going to go with a custom 9" rear and a LIGHT car.

The new Camaro is a pig from the factory. So, the only way it makes sense to build it with a solid rear is to order the "body in white" to build a trailered drag car.

Bottom Line:
Solid rear cars are for drags ONLY.

I don't know why this subject is so highly debated when it is so obviously simple.
Having blown up 4 C5 rears in a row drag racing, with a total expediture in parts and labor over $10K for a simply H/C car, let me tell you that an IRS isn't always as bulletproof as you make it out to be.

Also, you make a big deal out of the Mustang IRS. Go look at all the Cobra guys ditching the IRS and converting their cars to solid axle.

I've got solid axle and IRS equipped cars. I know the limitations of each.

As for your summation, its nice that you have an opinion about when it makes sense for the rest of the world to do as you see fit. It doesn't make it correct however. In your world maybe it doesn't make sense. In someone else's it may make perfect sense. Again, its all a matter or opinion, and perspective and your's isn't an better or more valid than anyone else's in this case.
Old 06-23-2009 | 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by J-Rod
Having blown up 4 C5 rears in a row drag racing, with a total expediture in parts and labor over $10K for a simply H/C car, let me tell you that an IRS isn't always as bulletproof as you make it out to be.

Also, you make a big deal out of the Mustang IRS. Go look at all the Cobra guys ditching the IRS and converting their cars to solid axle.

I've got solid axle and IRS equipped cars. I know the limitations of each.

As for your summation, its nice that you have an opinion about when it makes sense for the rest of the world to do as you see fit. It doesn't make it correct however. In your world maybe it doesn't make sense. In someone else's it may make perfect sense. Again, its all a matter or opinion, and perspective and your's isn't an better or more valid than anyone else's in this case.
Each IRS is different. I know you know that. It's too bad that the Viper IRS isn't on every mass produced IRS sports car.

Running an auto trans probably would have cured, or at least helped, with your rear problems. Manuals are hard on rears. But, you already knew that too.

I think we call agree that a solid rear axle is best for a drag car.
No kidding.
I think any reasonable person would admit that IRS is better everywhere else.
I also think it's obvious that it's better to build a drag car starting with a cheaper car that came with a solid rear instead of a $30k+ 2010 Camaro that weighs almost 4,000lbs.

Last edited by 427C5; 06-23-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-23-2009 | 06:11 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TOSTO RACING
Muscle cars with irs =
+ 1, i guess if i wanted to road race but i like going faster strighter and lighter with a solid axel
Old 06-23-2009 | 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

crap,i wish i hadn't even started this thread now. a simple question has pretty much turned into an irs v/s solid axle arguement which was definitely my intent. sorry for all involved. i'm going to go lock myself in the closet now.
Old 06-23-2009 | 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship
Camaro is a pony car.......Chevelle SS, GTO, GS455 are muscle cars.
Besides that is your opinion and everyone knows about opinions.
You have never put a muscle car on a road course......I have and its such a blast, so IRS and a Muscle car with IRS =

Road course huh

Well you've never put a camaro up on two wheels and drug the bumper 100 feet so solid axle all the way

Different strokes for different folks I was just basically saying I would never drag race a car with irs its pointless.

I'm done with this post
Old 06-24-2009 | 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slow trap
crap,i wish i hadn't even started this thread now. a simple question has pretty much turned into an irs v/s solid axle arguement which was definitely my intent. sorry for all involved. i'm going to go lock myself in the closet now.
Don't worry about it man. Perhaps one day in the not too distant future someone will ask this very question again and the uproar won't be quite so fierce. I have no doubt we are gonna see some SRA swapped 5th gens in the times to come, so just stay tuned. In the meantime, don't sweat all the petty bickering. Go drive that badass TA and forget about this message board melodrama.

Old 06-24-2009 | 07:39 AM
Teching In

I dont have a 5th gen, but I am considering getting one when I get back later in the year. I like to drag race and I think I would like a SRA in it. It might not ride as well or handle corners as well, but I am sure it would be fine for my tastes, as I dont autocross or do any serious canyon carving.

I have read that IRS eats up more horsepower than a solid axle. I think this came from the Ford guys. Anyone else heard that as well?
Old 06-24-2009 | 09:30 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 427C5
Each IRS is different. I know you know that. It's too bad that the Viper IRS isn't on every mass produced IRS sports car.
Just because someone has made a Viper IRS live doesn't mean its the holy grail of IRS
Running an auto trans probably would have cured, or at least helped, with your rear problems. Manuals are hard on rears. But, you already knew that too.
I've seen an auto car split the case and break the torque tube. You can break anything... In our case, an auto wasn't desirable.

I think we call agree that a solid rear axle is best for a drag car.
No kidding.
I think any reasonable person would admit that IRS is better everywhere else.
I also think it's obvious that it's better to build a drag car starting with a cheaper car that came with a solid rear instead of a $30k+ 2010 Camaro that weighs almost 4,000lbs.
Do the math on what its going to cost for a body in white. Then do the math on what its going to cost for EVERYTHING that is going to be required to get that "car" in a condition that it could be driven. Keep in mind that your average "rolling chassis" with no motor is over $30K. So, it may be much more cost effective to go buy a stripper Camaro, and then start it on a diet.
Old 06-24-2009 | 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

I have heard that the rear end out of a Trailblazer would bolt up with a MIMIMUM of modifications. Don't know if there is any truth to that, but it could be a possiblility.
Old 06-24-2009 | 09:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by slow trap
Why not enjoy the fun?

In any case, my apology if I helped muck it up.
Old 06-24-2009 | 10:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I will come out and say it.

Some people on this forum work at Mickey D's and some of us make over 60K a year.

Some people like driving an old piece of **** from 1993 and some of us like the newest technology.

Many of us got the F bodies when they were new and we are tired of them. We don't care how important you think your live axle is.
That’s the dumbest argument ever??
well some people on this forum only make 60k, and some off us make over 100k.

and there are some people that don’t make that much money like to drive cars over their means, and some off us that don’t feel the need, and stick with ower old car... bla bla bla??? What??

i really don’t think it ,matters how much money you make it really how bad you like the car... i know allot off people that bye this car that make over a 100k and some who make less than 60k...

Last edited by allenwesley; 06-24-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-24-2009 | 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Just because someone has made a Viper IRS live doesn't mean its the holy grail of IRS.
So then tell us.....
What is the Holy Grail of IRS ????

Do the math on what its going to cost for a body in white. So, it may be much more cost effective to go buy a stripper Camaro, and then start it on a diet.
Good Point.
But, you're only further supporting my statement it's just plain stupid to buy a brand new IRS car to convert it to SRA.
A F-body, Fox body, or Cobra Jet are all obviously better choices for someone who wants a SRA.

I don't know why anyone would argue the obvious.
Old 06-24-2009 | 11:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by allenwesley
That’s the dumbest argument ever??
well some people on this forum only make 60k, and some off us make over 100k.

and there are some people that don’t make that much money like to drive cars over their means, and some off us that don’t feel the need, and stick with ower old car... bla bla bla??? What??

i really don’t think it ,matters how much money you make it really how bad you like the car... i know allot off people that bye this car that make over a 100k and some who make less than 60k...
Not really.

If you want to save money you get an f body cause they are cheap.

If you have a lot of money you get a more expensive car.

Anyone would.

Its all about how much money you make.
Old 06-24-2009 | 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

Well it doesn’t matter how much i make, I did make that comment to brag about my yearly salary. But for me saying I would bye a camaro, disproves your theory completely. Not everyone that’s makes a lot off money it going to go for a certain car in a certain price range…but i see what your saying.... and thats just my 2 cents...

Quick Reply: solid axle conversion ?