TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnforce
fuckem!!!
^^what he said ^^
Old 07-12-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Move on to a dealership that will let you drive one.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:56 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

The cars are hot items. They sell themselves without test drives. If you are serious about buying one, you wouldn't really care about a test drive. I've probably bought a dozen cars around the country without test driving them first, because they were the car I wanted no matter what. Once the buzz item wears off and they are sitting on lots, you can probably test drive as many as you wish. This isn't abnormal, several cars are like this.

Most dealers still won't let people test drive new Z06 Corvettes. Why? Because most people who buy them are **** about any miles being on them. Same thing with Vipers and 911 Turbos and several other cars that aren't even "hot" right now.

If you want to test drive a Camaro, go drive a G8 GT or GXP. They feel/drive nearly identical. Then go buy your Camaro if you like it.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Dealership here in Bowling Green, KY refused to let anyone drive a v6 model. Now they have a yellow ss that has 705 miles. Looks like a demo for sale.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Went to a gm dealer looking at new trucks. They had an rs-ss there and he was more than willing to let us drive it.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Wait 6 months and they will drop the car off at your house and tell you to "try her out for the weekend". It's all just new car hype.
True that...GTO...cough cough
Old 07-13-2009, 02:21 AM
Launching!

I'm a young guy (22) I have a friend (21) who went to the local Chevy dealerships around here trying to drive a new vette. Well the salesmen said to go inside and talk numbers first, my friend said ok. They go inside and they are talking and he even said, " look i know alot of young guys come in playin around but i really have the money", well they go down to like $42k on it but still refuse to let him drive it so he says bye and walks out. 3 days later, he pulled up to every Chevy dealership he went to in his brand new GT500 and had a nice talk to each salesmen that refused to let him test drive the car. Some of them had the nerve to see if he wanted to test drive the vette then. It was one of the best things ive ever witnessed.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
The cars are hot items. They sell themselves without test drives. If you are serious about buying one, you wouldn't really care about a test drive. I've probably bought a dozen cars around the country without test driving them first, because they were the car I wanted no matter what. Once the buzz item wears off and they are sitting on lots, you can probably test drive as many as you wish. This isn't abnormal, several cars are like this.

Most dealers still won't let people test drive new Z06 Corvettes. Why? Because most people who buy them are **** about any miles being on them. Same thing with Vipers and 911 Turbos and several other cars that aren't even "hot" right now.

If you want to test drive a Camaro, go drive a G8 GT or GXP. They feel/drive nearly identical. Then go buy your Camaro if you like it.
I full heartedly agree that there are so many people out there that will buy the car no matter what.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a new Camaro without a test drive. I can ignore the stuff like road noise and being hard to get in and out. But if the seating position hurts my back or there are blind spots I don't like then I don't want the car. Which you'd have to sit in it for awhile while driving in real life situations and see how the ride affects your comfort to do this properly.

Why do car lots care if you drive it 1-2 miles?? They have insurance...
Old 07-13-2009, 10:22 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I full heartedly agree that there are so many people out there that will buy the car no matter what.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a new Camaro without a test drive. I can ignore the stuff like road noise and being hard to get in and out. But if the seating position hurts my back or there are blind spots I don't like then I don't want the car. Which you'd have to sit in it for awhile while driving in real life situations and see how the ride affects your comfort to do this properly.

Why do car lots care if you drive it 1-2 miles?? They have insurance...
They care, because most REAL buyers don't want any miles on their new Camaro. The car is a gotta-have-it item, and they know if you don't buy it based on a test drive, someone will buy it anyways. Supply vs demand. Demand is high, supply is low. They don't have to sell it to someone who is demanding about a test drive. Give it a few months, there will be plenty on the lots to drive then.

BTW, the Camaro does have bad blind spots, over your left shoulder. It is a car that held styling primary, function secondary. That was due to the public demand that it retain the looks of the concept car. I, and most gearheads I know, can deal with this. It isn't meant to be a Honda Accord.

I'm a young guy (22) I have a friend (21) who went to the local Chevy dealerships around here trying to drive a new vette. Well the salesmen said to go inside and talk numbers first, my friend said ok. They go inside and they are talking and he even said, " look i know alot of young guys come in playin around but i really have the money", well they go down to like $42k on it but still refuse to let him drive it so he says bye and walks out. 3 days later, he pulled up to every Chevy dealership he went to in his brand new GT500 and had a nice talk to each salesmen that refused to let him test drive the car. Some of them had the nerve to see if he wanted to test drive the vette then. It was one of the best things ive ever witnessed.
I've heard variations of this story 10000000000000 times before. I have friends who are car salesmen. If you really think they give a crap if some punk shows up in a new car bought somewhere else, you are dreaming. I'd say your life has to be pretty boring to want to go back to some other dealership to prove how cool you are or how much money you have to a sales guy. What is next, rolling throug McD's and flashing your Platinum AMEX to the burger flipper? LOL! At the end of the day, you will still look like a douche or arrogant clown. They won't give a crap about not selling a car to you. If your buddy has insecurities about being treated like a young/broke guy, tell him to show up at the dealership BEFORE the test drive and show them a copy of his bank statement. If you have enough zeroes, I guarantee you get a test drive.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I, and most gearheads I know, can deal with this. It isn't meant to be a Honda Accord.

I've heard variations of this story 10000000000000 times before.
Now, that's a big number.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Launching!

They wouldn't even let me sit it one.They said I might mark up the seats.I was like wtf??
I guess I will have to wait until the hype cools down,there are very few camaros out where I live and the were asking 14k above list.All of the amereicans are lucky to have most of these cars.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

Best thing to do is find someone that has one, and ask to go for a ride in one..
I have sat in one at a dealer, and I have ridden in one..
It rides nothing like the current 4th gen..
To be honest.. the 5th gen rides just about as smooth as my Escalade. Honestly.
Nice and smooth and firm.. Great ride..
And doesn't sound like the rattle trap that you are accustom to in the 4th gen either
Old 07-13-2009, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

^ yea it drives like a BMW, not a muscle car...awesome.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:20 AM
TECH Veteran

I've heard variations of this story 10000000000000 times before. I have friends who are car salesmen. If you really think they give a crap if some punk shows up in a new car bought somewhere else, you are dreaming. I'd say your life has to be pretty boring to want to go back to some other dealership to prove how cool you are or how much money you have to a sales guy. What is next, rolling throug McD's and flashing your Platinum AMEX to the burger flipper? LOL! At the end of the day, you will still look like a douche or arrogant clown. They won't give a crap about not selling a car to you. If your buddy has insecurities about being treated like a young/broke guy, tell him to show up at the dealership BEFORE the test drive and show them a copy of his bank statement. If you have enough zeroes, I guarantee you get a test drive.
Originally Posted by JohnnyC

Now, that's a big number.
Yup. I wasn't expecting that to be a long number so my stack overflowed.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<post#29>", line 6, in <module>
OverflowError: (34, 'Result too large')
Old 07-14-2009, 01:48 AM
11 Second Club

Talking

Originally Posted by R W B
I would have done the same thing. I like to wear my worst clothes and drive up in my small car and then write a check for the car I want. I like the game where do you work at or how can you afford it. I always tell them my credit is no good. If I don't get a deal-I walk.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JAY ROD
They wouldn't even let me sit it one.They said I might mark up the seats.I was like wtf??
I guess I will have to wait until the hype cools down,there are very few camaros out where I live and the were asking 14k above list.All of the amereicans are lucky to have most of these cars.
What a bunch of crap...I can understand the attitude with a 50+K car... but a 30K car? Cars are stupid expensive anymore and 30K for a new car is about par for the course these days. It's like denying someone a ride in a camry.

I remember trying to test drive a GT0 about 2 years ago. First dealership we rolled up to told us there wasn't a chance (and it was a used 04 Auto). They wanted 23K for the car and we rolled in with a 26K Pontiac G6. Seriously? We walked out and went acrossed the street...same deal. So we went a few blocks down and the sales guy there tossed us the keys to an 05 M6 and we went for a ride. My buddy decided he didn't like the whole 6 speed deal and wanted an auto. Then proceeded to buy his 06 A4 from the place that gave him a chance to drive the car.

Funny how that works.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Definatly no way im gonna buy a car without driving it im 6'2" so i have to make sure i fit in stuff.... My whole life i dreamed about having a Stingray Corvette. my dad bought one.. i sat down and it felt like i was being abused haha. and yeah let the hype die down then go buy one. I will personally be waiting till around the time i get back from iraq and out of the Army the ill be shopping for one. Once they work out any issues.. i hear they might be having some with the output shafts anyways.. we will see
Old 07-17-2009, 03:15 PM
Teching In

We are both 6'3" 210+. Both are in our late 30's. Funny thing is we got to test drive a slk 55 amg, a bmw z4 and a Boxter s just prior to going to the chevy dealer. I think they didnt want miles on the car. Funny though the salesman said "I SOLD 80 OF THEM" and my cousin said thats 80 retards with an impulse decision problem. Eh oh well. Ill just go buy something else.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Teching In

I don't blame them. When I worked at Saturn and the Sky first came out, we had to have at least 25+ people come in everday asking to see adn drive the car. Now we only had one or two of those on the lot at the time. They were not allocating very many and most were sold before they ever hit the floor.

Now the route we let people drive the car is about 3 miles. So you average all those people driving those two cars. Damn the miles add up real quick. No ones wants to buy a brand new car with a couple hundred miles on it. Escpecially when the car is limited at the moment.

We told the customer that we would draw up all the paper work and get the numbers straight and make sure they qualify and what not. Once they were ready to go into finance we took them for their test drive. They liked it still they could buy it, if not then we tore the paperwork up and they were free to go. This eliminated 99% of all the tire kickers. If you want to come and look at the car cool, but don't come by and waste my time just to drive it because you want too. Your costing someone money because they could be selling a car to someone who will actually buy.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

I have to agree with Nine Ball if I was going to buy one I would want really low miles on it. Less then 5 would be nice the last new car I bought had 3 miles on it, I did test drive it though.

Quick Reply: test driving an SS?