Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Cam instal or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam instal or not?

Hello all. I have a 2010 camaro ss rs with an auto tranny. I am old school and love to hear the lope from a good cam, so I was considering it. I am in need of some advice and or pointers. Our local auto forum has been giving me mixed concearns about doing this instal. Some say it verry difficult because of the automatic fuel adj, and something about the heads need to be removed to replace the lifters? Also someone said that tuning will be a big problem and the car may not ever run as i would like?? I want the lope more than the horespower... But I dont want to screw up the everyday driveability. Oh and price for instal--- Ive gotten quotes from 500.00 to 1400.00 any and all ideas/fact welcome Thanks in advance. Arlen
Old 01-10-2010, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

if you like how user friendly the car is now.. i would advise against the cam.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by treedoc2000
Hello all. I have a 2010 camaro ss rs with an auto tranny. I am old school and love to hear the lope from a good cam, so I was considering it. I am in need of some advice and or pointers. Our local auto forum has been giving me mixed concearns about doing this instal. Some say it verry difficult because of the automatic fuel adj, and something about the heads need to be removed to replace the lifters? Also someone said that tuning will be a big problem and the car may not ever run as i would like?? I want the lope more than the horespower... But I dont want to screw up the everyday driveability. Oh and price for instal--- Ive gotten quotes from 500.00 to 1400.00 any and all ideas/fact welcome Thanks in advance. Arlen
There are some milder cams that won't affect your daily driving as much but of course they won't sound as "loppy" as you'd want. I'd suggest you talk to one of the better shops to see what they recommend. Jannetty Racing is a good reputable shop and there's many others. Price is just going to depend.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:42 AM
TECH Regular

WOW, if theyre telling you to remove the heads to get to the lifters thats a dead giveaway that they dont kno ls-motors. There are plenty of cams that make good power w/out sacrificing driveability also.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by casey.shoemake
WOW, if theyre telling you to remove the heads to get to the lifters thats a dead giveaway that they dont kno ls-motors. There are plenty of cams that make good power w/out sacrificing driveability also.

??? the only way to get to the lifters on a lsx engine is to remove the heads.

if you want a decent cam in a 2010 camaro auto trans , you will need to remove the heads and replace the afm/dod lifters and lifter trays with standard LS2/3 lifters and trays, also you will need to remove the vvt cam gear and replace it with a LS2(3 bolt) set up for the most cam selection and a LS2/3 front timing cover

then get a tune to remove all the afm/dod and vvt from the ecm
Old 01-11-2010, 06:43 PM
12 Second Club

cars drives annoyingly(i dont care what cam you get if you hear lope at idle at 600rpm it will drive shitty compared to stock), money spent, loss of warranty, dependability all for a lope at idle is not a smart choice for most...
Old 01-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Hmmmmm. Yeah sounds like some other mods would be better.. Well thanks to all for the input
Old 01-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
cars drives annoyingly(i dont care what cam ...
Not really. Its all in the tune. Lots of decent size cam DD out there that drive amazing with no surge.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jay_lt4
??? the only way to get to the lifters on a lsx engine is to remove the heads.

if you want a decent cam in a 2010 camaro auto trans , you will need to remove the heads and replace the afm/dod lifters and lifter trays with standard LS2/3 lifters and trays, also you will need to remove the vvt cam gear and replace it with a LS2(3 bolt) set up for the most cam selection and a LS2/3 front timing cover

then get a tune to remove all the afm/dod and vvt from the ecm
oh snap! i was totally NOT thinking when i posted that! For some reason i was thinking about how every dealership around here tells me that you have to pull the heads to remove the cam. Sorry totally different subject there. Hopefully i wont be flammed to bad for this....
Old 01-12-2010, 02:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by supernova1972
Not really. Its all in the tune. Lots of decent size cam DD out there that drive amazing with no surge.
+1
Old 01-12-2010, 11:11 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by supernova1972
its all relative, unless your comparing to stock. amazing is stock. find me a cam and tune where you can let the clutch out and drive up a parking deck with out any surge... im sure you won't find any...im not that picky but this guy might be. i love it when everyone says its all in the tune. TR224 like stock all in the tune. thats bs. it wont drive like stock.

like the guys with MS3 that says its like stock, haha helen keller would call bs on that. drivable and like stock are two VERY different things.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:01 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your in Midland so your a real short drive to lubbock. Your welcome to come to TSP & listen to my heads/cam 2SS car. It makes 500rwhp & drives very close to stock. The 2010 computers do very well with camshafts. We have a complete line of engine dyno developed LS3 camshafts for the 2010 cars!

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...=1057&catid=44
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 01-12-2010, 02:04 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 01-13-2010, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Default auto or M6

[QUOTE=Jason 98 TA;12739212]Your in Midland so your a real short drive to lubbock. Your welcome to come to TSP & listen to my heads/cam 2SS car. It makes 500rwhp & drives very close to stock. The 2010 computers do very well with camshafts. We have a complete line of engine dyno developed LS3 camshafts for the 2010 cars!

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...=1057&catid=44[

/QU

Do you have a M6 or auto trans in this one?
Old 01-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Launching!

You can always get away with a bit more cam on a manual car because you can easily slip the clutch a little bit more and keep the rpm up. On an auto (with a stock converter) you don't get that option, and can lead to poor driveability if you over cam it. If you only want a cam because it sounds cool I don't think you will be too happy with the resulting driveability. Start with some other more basic mods first.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
its all relative, unless your comparing to stock. amazing is stock. find me a cam and tune where you can let the clutch out and drive up a parking deck with out any surge... im sure you won't find any...im not that picky but this guy might be. i love it when everyone says its all in the tune. TR224 like stock all in the tune. thats bs. it wont drive like stock.

like the guys with MS3 that says its like stock, haha helen keller would call bs on that. drivable and like stock are two VERY different things.
What are you talking about, there are plenty of cams that drive close to stock with PROPER supporting mods and tuned, plus the guy has an AUTO not a 6 speed so even easier.

I'm betting most the sponsors that do the work will disagree with pretty much everything you have said.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by rayhawk
You can always get away with a bit more cam on a manual car because you can easily slip the clutch a little bit more and keep the rpm up. On an auto (with a stock converter) you don't get that option, and can lead to poor driveability if you over cam it. If you only want a cam because it sounds cool I don't think you will be too happy with the resulting driveability. Start with some other more basic mods first.
imo auto will soak up the surge better paired to a proper converter and their are some custom tight street converters which will work with larger cams but not flash as high.

Last edited by disc0monkey; 01-14-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chavez885
What are you talking about, there are plenty of cams that drive close to stock with PROPER supporting mods and tuned, plus the guy has an AUTO not a 6 speed so even easier.

I'm betting most the sponsors that do the work will disagree with pretty much everything you have said.
What are you talking about. which cam will react as a stocker in the example i have previously given? you didn't give an answer any of that.

you can disagree but im not entirely wrong. it is you that cant wrap your head around the fact that it is all relevant. i have cartek and ttp in my backyard its not our tunes. id love to hear these "PROPER supporting mods" which improve drivability. its all about trade offs kid.

the sponsor did provide feedback which i appreciate stating that the new more powerful computer helps combat the issues i have brought up.

Last edited by disc0monkey; 01-14-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I was hoping that the texas speed gent has an automatic so I could know exactly how the car would drive???? Otherwise -- im now thinking gears and Nos. Makes it short and sweet and would still drive the same. I dont want to spend 2 Gs for a cam and instal and ruin the car.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Will that void your warranty, or do you care?

Quick Reply: Cam instal or not?