Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Weight

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bet my first car was lighter than everyones -- 1150lbs with me in it, which at the time I was 103lbs (I know it because that was my weight class in wrestling) The car was a modded MG Midget. Chasis was shortened 18" body completely replaced with a fiberglass Arkley SS kit, weber side draft carbs, 13" aluminum wheels. Superlite. It may have had 90 horses. Shot to 50 in 3rd gear in just about 6 seconds, but 4th had no guts so 0-60 was like 9 or 10 seconds and anything over 80 mph was sheer lunacy.

I think I'll keep my SS.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol i dont think car when i think of something like that...more like a big go-kart.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camarolvr69
lol i dont think car when i think of something like that...more like a big go-kart.

Maybe just go-kart, big really isn't an accurate description. It was 9' long 4.5' wide.

I think Goldwings weight more don't they?
Old 05-27-2007, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

this car is going to have IRS and will need to meet current safety stds. which will add weight. its also going to need stronger drivetrain parts to hold up to the power ive heard this thing is going to make.

id also imagine using better quality materials for its interior will add a little weight too. no doubt engineers will work on keeping weight down though but that can cost money.

im expecting this car to come in around 3600-3700 which isnt bad considering what its competitors weigh right now.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z28ss4me
I bet my first car was lighter than everyones -- 1150lbs with me in it, which at the time I was 103lbs (I know it because that was my weight class in wrestling) The car was a modded MG Midget. Chasis was shortened 18" body completely replaced with a fiberglass Arkley SS kit, weber side draft carbs, 13" aluminum wheels. Superlite. It may have had 90 horses. Shot to 50 in 3rd gear in just about 6 seconds, but 4th had no guts so 0-60 was like 9 or 10 seconds and anything over 80 mph was sheer lunacy.
Yes, but how did it handle? Like a dream?
Old 05-27-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shock Hawk
Yes, but how did it handle? Like a dream?

Well, honestly I think my SS holds more G forces, but the agility and turning radious was absolutely sick, you know that saying "like it was on rails?" Well thats what it was like, but when it let loose, it really let lose, 0 room for error, which is what ultimately caused it's demise, a small wet spot and that was all she wrote.

My uncle, the person who gave me the car, had 10 or 15 auto-x championships in that car. But when it's so much smaller then our cars, of course it will rip through an Auto-X course easier and since it wasn't exactly a dog to 50, it was still fast enough too. Of course that was like 25 years ago when he raced it and cars on the Auto-X course are a lot faster nowadays.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

i think the seats alone are like 200lbs

Originally Posted by jmg110104
Its amazing that at this day and age car makers have to struggle to get a performance vehicle under 3500lbs.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jmg110104
Its amazing that at this day and age car makers have to struggle to get a performance vehicle under 3500lbs.

This is the same car you want with those 24" 14" wide wheels, right?
and those 14" wide soft tires with the 200mph rating, right?
with the new and improved glass like the Malibu to reduce noise, right?
and you do want it safe. car needs to have 80 air bags
if it rolls over 14 times you want the driver to walk away, right?
if you're hit by a truck the side door you want to walk away with that also, right?
and you want the LS-7 anything less would be a waste, right?

How about if I drag out my 1970 or 1971 production cars et test results including weight and post some junk. You know back in the good old days when everyone built performance cars people could buy.

If you build a RWD car with 400 + hp. Hook the tranny to the rear wheels via a aluminum shaft. Do you think the frame ie body needs to be something besides cardboard? Yes this friggen car will weigh more than 3500#. If you want something less from gm buy a car with less hp, buy a Corvette, build your own............

You guys a re hung up on this weight crap. How about the driver weight. Do you guys work out daily? Does your current car have anything in it that really doesn't need to be in it? That weight too - kids! When you run at the track does your car have a full tank of fuel or something less?

AGSAOMAHD's
Old 03-18-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Im guessing around 3800lbs
Old 03-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
Target weight is supposed to be under 3600 from what I've heard.
I'd be happy with that.
Where do you come up with all of your info? Dreaming?
Old 03-18-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
This is the same car you want with those 24" 14" wide wheels, right?
and those 14" wide soft tires with the 200mph rating, right?
with the new and improved glass like the Malibu to reduce noise, right?
and you do want it safe. car needs to have 80 air bags
if it rolls over 14 times you want the driver to walk away, right?
if you're hit by a truck the side door you want to walk away with that also, right?
All of the above - No thanks.
and you want the LS-7 anything less would be a waste, right?
The LS7 doesn't weigh any more than an LS1...
You guys a re hung up on this weight crap. How about the driver weight. Do you guys work out daily? Does your current car have anything in it that really doesn't need to be in it? That weight too - kids! When you run at the track does your car have a full tank of fuel or something less?

AGSAOMAHD's
Weight negatively effects acceleration, handling, braking and overall car feel. You're damn right we are concerned about it, if GM is going to bring back the Camaro they can't half *** it this time, its all or nothing.
And for those who say "Just be happy they are bringing it back", no. I rather have them not bring it back if its going to be a fat under-performing pig that will disgrace the Camaro name. Just like Im sure most of you wouldn't want GM to disgrace the Camaro name by making it FWD.

Quick Reply: Weight